1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saphir - 76 Deluxe Microbus

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Gabriella, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Saphir is Kieran's pretty new Kombi :D
    He is a 1976 Microbus deluxe with a cool little ragtop thing and a subaru engine. Here are some pictures.

It has a dent in its side and a hole under the left rear vent but overall it seems to have rather little rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

3. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

4. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

looks fairly solid, could be a good project.

5. Cai

Cai New Member

Looks rather neglected at the moment but i'm sure thats all about to change! are you going to keep the ragtop thing?

6. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

He's a glutton for punishment, isn't he? Although, as the others have said, it does look pretty solid and will make a fab base for a resto. I'm sure you two will work your magic on it and having it looking schmicko in no time. :)

7. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Hehehe yeh this old beast has been sitting in the same graveyard as Moonlights for the past god knows how many years so is looking fairly sad at the moment, but it is virtually void of any rust aside from a hole in the beavertail, a few holes in the left sill below the slider, and some crumbliness around the ragtop which is to be expected... I'm absolutely amazed at how solid it is actually.

As the pics show, it has a hole cut into the left hand corner where there was once an intake to allow airflow to the radiator, and the spare tyre well has been cut out to facilitate the mkounting of the radiator on the left wall of the engine bay. The large dent in the front is from where the scrap metal guy that I bought it off acidentally rolled a ute off the back of his tilt tray into the Kombi... will take some patience and time to fix but it is repairable. :) There is also a dent in the rear of the roof that has to be pushed back out but that will be not too difficult, and a nasty ding in the edge of the right hand taillight assembly which I will either knock and bend back to shape or failing that just cut and replace. Mechanically, I have no idea of where it stands motorwise as I havent tried to start it yet due to there being no key. At the moment the left rear wheel won't rotate which I suspect is probably a seized brake... will look at it next time I am in Nowra. It currently doesnt steer as the steering box has been removed in the past, however I have a few in my stash so no worries there. :cool:

At this stage I am looking to leave the bus Subaru powered as it would be something different to play with and I really don't feel inclined to rework the wiring loom back to standard. If the EA81 engine turns out to be buggered I'll either rebuild it or replace it with an OHC EA82 from an L-Series... found in plentiiful supply at wreckers.

I would also like to keep the ragtop in place as it is kind of cool however it seems to be in quite a poor state of repair and I am unsure of what a replacement or rebuild of the existing one would cost.

I am going to cut a tyre well out of one of my wrecks to fill the gaping hole where the old one was taken out, cut and shut the hole in the side and am going to work out a different position for the radiator as I am buggered if I am having holes everywhere just for the sake of watercooling. I am also more than likely going to replace the engine lid with an unmolested one... much and all as the modified one looks fairly unobtrusive and ok from a distance, it still looks daggy up close and I want the stock look.

Interiorwise, I am going to attempt to source a full set of rear seats as it is complied as an 8 seater so I figure I might as well make use of it, and I will try to source a fairly tidy set of cream interior trim and som factory front seats as I like factory seats and I don't like the non factory ones that are now in there. At a later stage I may make my own custom interior panelling and headlining but for the moment I am gonna adhere to the KISS principle. :D

Anyway, more on Saphir when I start work.

Cheers!
    Kieran

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008