1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SC traction/tyres?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by jimmy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. jimmy

jimmy New Member

I had another slippery moment over the weekend in my ute while driving around someones property up a dry bank. I've had problems before usually on wet or slightly damp grass.

Would different tyres help improve my grip? I currently have standard 185R14LT all around. I was considering just changing the rear tyres when going 'off road' collecting firewood and stuff. Cheers Jimmy

2. jimmy

jimmy New Member

photo of 'Jo'

Attached Files:

3. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Put some weight over the rear wheels and lower your tyre pressures to mid 20's PSi when on the muddy stuff.

4. jimmy

jimmy New Member

Thanks Jon - would it be ok to fully load the ute with tyres down to mid 20's? and drive home on the roads? Would an off road tyre help?

5. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Wouldn't recommend driving on the roads fully laden with that tyre pressure, off road yes, on road no.

Off road tyres in 14'' are pretty hard to come by.

6. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I run dunlop adventurer's on the rear of my SC and lower profile Michelin's on the front cause the Dunlop are too noisy! Holds well around corners!

7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Is the light trucks necessary on an unladen sc? Maybe borrow some passengers and see if they help?.

8. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

LT's actually have more wet grip advantage than passenger tyres Kai.

A nice set of Toyo 185R14 H08's will help your cause!

9. jimmy

jimmy New Member

Thanks for your help - do you rate the dunlop adventurers Jon? The tyres I have are Hankook RA08 on the back and Bridgestone Bison on the front.

10. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Toyo H08.
    Thats what I rate.

11. jb4845

jb4845 Member

Stop being a girl - just learn to drive the thing properly :D

Maybe we can just get a whole lot of Tek screws and make you a set of studded tyres for the offroad stuff, then you can take them out when you hit the pavement ?

12. jimmy

jimmy New Member

Thanks JoshIa, I was going to ask how yours handles in the wet but then remembered you don't like going out in the rain (or in the dark) and as for 'Porridge' leaving the smooth, flat streets of Newcastle...:)

13. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I run Maxxis 195X14 (MT-753) tyres on my camper. I have found them to be excellent in the rough and not bad, though a little noisy, on the highway.

14. Animal

Animal Active Member

Jimmy my Nanna gives driving lessons to migrants maybe I can hook you up he he..

15. jimmy

jimmy New Member

don't you start Mr who put that post there?!

16. You used to be able to get BF goodrich all terrains in a 14" not that long ago. I rate them better than any other tyre off road for low pressure running. Can run them almost dead flat and will not leak or peel off the rims. Been using them for 20 plus years on Kombi's set up for proper beach work. I personally have had 12.5 35" BFG mud terrains at 5 psi to get through some real soft sand that every other 4WD was getting whinched or towed through and we drove up the hill and through it without even spinning a wheel leaving nothing but perfect tyre tracks.

One big plug for the tyres and one bigger plug for a Kombi over a 4WD for the beach :)

17. jimmy

jimmy New Member

different gearbox?

I showed my tyre man the above list and he went for the Maxxis but didn't give a reason - he may only sell Maxxis :) anyways $140 each.

What about a different gearbox?

CB mountain ratio
    CC normal with limited slip
    CD mountain ratio with limited slip

Anyone know anything about these?

Ta Jimmy

18. jimmy

jimmy New Member

Picked up the new tyres today, bit of difference between old and new. Will see how they go.

Attached Files:

19. Wooly

Wooly Member

Jimmy how did you go with the Maxxis 753's? Got my eye on some for rough tracks etc

20. jimmy

jimmy New Member

So far so good. Collected some firewood last week and had no problems with traction down some uneven tracks. When reversing up a grassy bank unlike the old tyre they didn't spin. No noticeable louder road noise on tar but I can't hear much over the clattering gates. I had a spin around the paddock and they definitely get better grip.

I did notice when driving on a bendy gravel road the front was drifting out slightly, don't know if this was caused by new tyres just on the back? or perhaps I was just going to fast :)