1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCAT Short Shifter with reverse lockout

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Rosscoe, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Hi, I have a 1975 Kombi, since I bought her I have had issues getting it into gear, sometimes it would slide in and then others you had to slam it into first or second. I bought a SCAT quick shifter with reverse lock out, you have to lift a lever to gain reverse. I now have the same or worse issue with the SCAT. I have researched this online and have found others have had the same issue, they have welded a bracket onto the SCAT and have fixed the problem as per the photos, I dont think this is good enough and believe it should not have to be modified to work. I have replaced all linkage bushes. I read somewhere of better shifters that give a crisp and positive gear change but cant remember the name of the shifter does anyone here know of something that is better than the original and SCAT. I bought the SCAT cheaper by a long way from what I can get one here in Australia. It is rather embarrassing not being able to find first or second at a set of lights. Thanks for reading and sorry for the long winded post. shifterfix.jpg Scatdragfastshifterfix002.jpg

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Rosscoe, no aftermarket shifter will fix gear selection issues.....
    The most common causes for not being able to select gear/s smoothly & easily are :
    1. Selector coupling is worn,cracked or has dropped a screw.....
    2. The selector bush is worn or non-existent.
    The selector coupling is a very easy and cheap fix, easily done yourself. The selector coupling joins the selector rod to the gearbox.
    Get under the bus and look at the front of the gearbox.....you will see the coupling.
    It should be firm and without any excessive play, side to side.
    All you have to do is clip the retaining wire, undo the allen bolt at the rod end and remove the two coarse screws....it'll then drop out.
    Install is the opposite......don't forget to re-"wire" the coupling....it helps retain the fixings when vibrated.

The selector bush is a little more fiddly.....
    It sits at the very front of the selector rod assembly, directly below the gearstick.
    First, you'll need to remove the gearstick assembly - clearly you know how to do that !!
    Then, look through the hole where the gearstick was.....there should be a bracket that the selector rod slides back and forth within.
    Sleeving the selector rod, SHOULD be the selector bush. it should be complete and not flogged out (they usually are....)
    To replace it, you'll need to separate the front half of the selector rod....(easy enough...again just jump under the bus and follow your nose....) and slide it out of the bush.
    The new selector bush - again another cheap part - just pushes into the bracket. re-fit the selector rod, tighten up everything and you're ready to re-install the gearstick assembly.

ANY gearstick - stock or otherwise - must be adjusted properly in order to find gears easily.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear.....but better not to go blaming aftermarket bits for something that may be wrong to start with.....

I have a Vintagespeed gearstick......cannot fault it now that they have sorted out their older model's issues.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Mark

Wayne murray likes this.
  3. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Thanks Mark, very informative post, I have had the linkage, bushes, selector etc etc replaced and checked but will get under a check again to make sure all is good, and I just thought that you bolt up the shifter and all is good LOL, I guess I am going to have to check and adjust that as well, thank you again..

4. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

can't help with the scat specifically but as stated above any gearstick needs to be adjusted correctly? I see you have elongated holes for fore and aft movement but i'd be trying a few side to side positions - the linkage may not be rotating far enough to line up for 1 & 2

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

@oldman does scat or vintage speed gearstick do away with adjusting plate that is normally under a standard gear stick or does it do away with this?

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Wayne, VS has a beefed up version of the adjuster plate.....adjustment is the same process as stock.
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Well I bit the bullet and bought a Gene Berg Shifter, I cant believe the difference it has made to the drivability of the car, took all of 10 minutes to install, fitted first go, did not need adjusting. Apart from the CVs now playing up it is a joy to drive.

Wayne murray, Grantus and Barry like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

GB certainly made good stuff

CSP is also very good.
    I had a CSP in my 1303 beetle. Loved it.

Rosscoe likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great to hear :D
    I had a Scat and issue I found was getting to ball on he bottom of the shifter into the rod cup (had to push down hard so you heard a click) - took a few goes until it seated correctly then no problems after that :)

Rosscoe likes this.