Seat Belt mounting

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by beerdoc, Nov 10, 2006.

1. beerdoc

beerdoc Member

Hi Doc
    Was wondering if you had some how to and some pics of the required dimensions of the base plates and mounting procedures?

Thank you from one doc to another

2. tombi

tombi Member

Seat belt mounts in B pillar

Beerdoc you took the words right out of my mouth and if I might just add a question for the other good Doctor re seat belt mounting at the B pillar.

As I read Mr No Vans resto comments on the old faithfull coachbolt through the pillar as being particularly ordinary, I would appreciate your suggestions for improvement.

Thanks Doctors, Tombi.

3. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

This is one of the the best things to do to make your van safe and also look good.
    I did this to my old 57 from details supplied by the good Doc.
    Will be doing the same to the 64.
    Come on Doc, do you still have all the details, pics would be nice.

Dave

4. Dr Split

Dr Split New Member

sorry all,

but the doctor regrets there are some issues with the server where he has all his pics stashed at the moment. He's just waiting a day or two longer to see whether its just down for maintenance or whatever and if it's still no go he'll have to investigate what's happened.....

Dr Split

5. Dr Split

Dr Split New Member

The Doctor is pleased to announce that he seems to be up and running again!

Seat belt mounts that meet Australian Design Regulations should be backed by 1/4" thick steel plate with a minimum surface area of 50 square cm, with a high tensile nut welded behind.

Pillar mounts are backed best backed by a plate measuring 3cm (wide) by 17 cm (long) - the Doctor advises that 3cm width is a standard steel size. To make the mount, drill a hole through the center of the plate and weld a high tensile nut to the back of it. Carefully open an inverted U flap at the top of the pillar measuring 3 cm (wide) by 5 cm (long). Drill three holes in the pillar, one for bolt access (which you can see above) and one below and one above this to puddle weld the plate in place. Weld a bit of coat hangar wire to the plate. Lower it into the pillar. Insert the seat belt bolt and tighten to hold the plate in position. Break off wire. Puddle weld in holes above and below bolt. Close flap and weld - tidy up.

The Doctor's measurements for the flap and holes in the front pillar are shown below in mm.

The doctor thinks that floor mounts are best backed by a plate measuring 5 cm (wide) by 10cm (long) - again 5cm is a standard steel size. Drill through middle and attach hi tensile nut. Again drill three holes in the floor, one for bolt access and two to puddle weld plate in place. Offer plate up, hold in location with bolt and puddle weld in place. The Doctor likes scar free surgery and all you see as a result of all this are holes for the seat belt bolts!

Dr Split

Attached Files:

6. beerdoc

beerdoc Member

Thanks DR split

Makes the job so much easier now

I hope the powers make this a sticky !

7. tombi

tombi Member

Top job you good Doctors. Will try this on my bus.
    Thanks for the info' Tombi

8. cairnsdude

cairnsdude New Member

some piccies of the rear please and where the inertia reel goes

Hi,

Don;t suppose the Dr has any piccies of the rear holes (where to) and where the inertia reel fits. I have a flat bench seat in the front, so am thinking the seat might get in the road?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    JAson

9. Spl65t

Spl65t New Member

Rear Seat Belts ?

Hi Dr.
    Any info on rear seat belts - 2 point or 3 point. Where abouts the drilling/bolt locations should be ?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated ?
    Linz