Seatbelt laws

Discussion in 'Interior' started by PICT, Mar 29, 2017.

1. PICT

PICT Member

I know it is beneficial to have a 3 point inertia seatbelts but what are the dates when they changed over to 3 point from 2 point belts?

2. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Not sure of the date but it will probably be when the ADR changed, looks like around ADR 5B in 1975.

PICT likes this.
  3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

seatbelts fitted need to meet AS/NZS 2596 standard

4. PICT

PICT Member

Cheers, i've been finding it hard to find any info on the dates, I once looked at a '73 van that only had 2 point lap belts, not sure if it was legal or not, have now also found a '69 with 2 point lap belts and was wondering what was legal? I know if the van came from factory with 3 point then you need to keep them, but when did it become mandatory to have 3 point's.

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you can't find the info then look @ talking to seat safe (google them) as I went through them for new ones for my Type3.

Look up the B pillar where they mount to and if no mounting point then it'll be a lap sash 2 point mount.

Many VW places sell them most brought in from OS stating complies with ISO 9001 - Quality Assurance Standard ..... NOT ..... Australian Safety Standard ....... some parts sellers now state neither but contact then maker as a disclaimer.
    Mick Motors in Northgate Qld referred me to Seat Safe.

6. DubDub1973

DubDub1973 New Member

As far as I am aware seatbelt laws kick in in ‘75. I recently had my 73 Bay roadworthied on taking it from SA to Tassie where I live, it got through with the original front seatbelts still installed - fixed, not inertia belts. Hope this helps

StevieVW likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That would be inertia seat belts. 3 point seat belts need to be fitted to anything after about '66 from memory.

PICT likes this.