1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seatbelts

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by urbexdweller, Mar 11, 2009.

1. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

has anyone fitted Retractable seat belts to their kombi ? and what did that have to do to get it engineered?

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

3. Bulli

Bulli New Member

I fitted front seatbelts to my 77 Kombi ...
    Klippan safety Products, K1512 (Datsun Sunny) 90/90 op, Stalk 300
    Available at any Sprint Autoparts store around Adelaide :)

4. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

They were stock in later bays so its pretty easy to get something to suit. i presume they are going in your split? i wouldn't bother with engineering them, you would be extremely unlucky to be defected for UPGRADING your belts, just make sure they meet australian standards and are in tip top shape.

5. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

nah probably not in the split.. no plans for that atm. think ive bitten of more than i can chew with that.. thinking bout selling it

6. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

can someone show me pics of their rear seat bel setup ? has anyone fitted over the shoulder seatbelts in the back on a kombi ? or all lapsash ?

7. Nigel

Nigel Member

1968~79 VW type 2 rear seat belts

[​IMG]

These are after-market, 3-point, lap & diagonal seat belts, retro-fitted by Quickfit Safety Belt Service, in Middlesex, England, to Jeremy Gristwood's, 1968~79 VW Type 2 campervan, featured in a recent magazine as follows:

Safety First!, News & Products, Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 12, Autumn 2003, Page 20.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the OEM, factory-fitted, optional rear seat belts, in Andreas Frahm's, refurbished & modified, German specification, 1972 VW "1600" Type 2 Deluxe Microbus, as illustrated, in the following magazine article:

Neil Birkitt, "Moose on the Loose", VW Motoring, January 1998, pages 52 & 54.

The three-point, lap & diagonal, retractable (i.e. inertia-reel) rear seat belts, for the rear the rearmost seats (i.e. immediately forward of the fuel-tank & engine compartments) are illustrated as Item 2, on Page & Frame 82-20, of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche.

In February 2000, I inspected a Swedish specification, 1978 VW Type 2 Microbus, belonging to Paul Butterworth, in Billericay, Essex, England, which was also fitted with this type of rear seat belt, having an associated, raised upper mounting, which fastens to the interior of the vehicle. :cool:

8. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

hmm those extensions dont look all that solid..

what if there was a camper cuppboards, you wouldnt get the seat belts in there like that... is there some way to mount them like more modern cars from the room perhaps ?

9. Nigel

Nigel Member

1968~79 VW Type 2 rear seat belts

In answer to your first statement, the steel extensions, are as factory-fitted by VW, illustrated as Item 2, on Page & Frame 82-20, of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche:

[​IMG]

What do you mean by, « is there some way to mount them like more modern cars from the room perhaps ? » ?

I know that Go Westy, in the USA, retail some seat belts, for some Westfalia campervans with cupboards, but whether they would be suitable for all campervans, is questionable!?!

If it were practical, something like this Kangol Generation seat belt, would probably be the ideal solution. It is adjustable for people of short stature, including young children.

[​IMG]

For more of my thoughts on seat belts and related issues, see the following topic thread, on The Samba forum:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262433

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Seat belts and their mountings must be approved for use in Australia. The Volkswagen factory fitted rear seat belt and mounting that was standard on T3 Caravelles did not pass Australian standards so we have an Australia only type. You cannot just buy seat belts from overseas.