Seating Regulations (Australian Standards)

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Farky66, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey,
    I was thinking of making a single person seat for my kombi behind the drivers seat, or an L shaped seat in the back, was just curious if there are certain specs which i would need to follow to legally seat someone there whilst im driving or just a seat belt will do?

Cheers
    Lochie

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

You will need to check State requirements. May need an engineers approval.

3. pab

pab New Member

Yes, you will definately need an engineer to inspect and approve before it's legal.

4. 65busser

65busser Member

5. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks for that, i will have a read through it, might take me a little while until i get the money to do it but thought id start my research. Also im sure they wouldnt mind a studying engineer check it :p

6. leithbro

leithbro Member

1958kafer likes this.
  7. geoff62sw

geoff62sw Member

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Now that's interesting!

If you fit a 3 seater bench seat to a T3 transporter, making it a 5 seater, you can still classify it as a goods carrying vehicle...

A goods carrying vehicle becomes a passenger carrying vehicle when the total number of seating
    positions multiplied by 68 kgs is more than half of the vehicle’s load carrying capacity.

You can actually install up to 6 seats, and still retain the benefits of parking in loading zones.:)

9. Gromit

Gromit Member

Hello,

Word of warning, it took us 6 months to get our van registered in SA, we bought it in Melbourne. They had issue with the seating, and it was just a seating inspection we needed. Anything not VW standard - we have a Trakka, they don't like. We were told may things and i understand it's entirely your luck on the day of the inspection. I ended up having to ask Trakka for a copy of the seating sign off to Australian Standards but this was apparently irrelivant in SA.

I'd carefully read everything before you start before you waste your time, money and effort and they tell you they won't accept it.

Derek Engel likes this.
  10. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Take it out of Adelaide for rego. Kadina is good from personal experience. Gawler also. Avoid the pits at Regency park.

11. Grantus

SA seems to have laws as they choose, when they choose, which is a little scary! :wtf:

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

All states seem to be luck of the draw. Try to be educated! Have a look at the State rego rules and regs so you can be constructive when you are argueing for your rights. Good luck!

13. Daisyg

Daisyg New Member

All car restraints sold in Australia must comply with the standards that cover materials, design, construction, performance, testing and labelling.
    Car seats bought overseas will not comply with the Australian standard and not approved and it is illegal to use them in Australia.

14. Daisyg

Daisyg New Member

Child restraint is regulated by Australian Standards. Mark sure your baby, or child is in a seat that is safety adjusted to give them the most protection.

15. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

"CHILD ON BOARD " Sticker helps :)

Poptop likes this.
  16. Grantus

Does it help as much as those "my family" stickers?:rolleyes:

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

DaisyG - this thread was not about child restraints.

18. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

if you've got both..(flashing lights, loud drumming) youve hit the jackpot :)

19. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Just bringing this old post up again about a similar issue iv seen coming up a fair bit recently. If a van is fitted with an original rear bench seat but compliance plate says 2 seater can it still be used as a 5 seater?

20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Not unless the rego. papers have a "5" seating capacity....
    Rego. papers MUST match compliance / Mod. plates - & vice versa - when seating number is involved.

To put another slant on it, you can use it as a 5 seater but you won't be covered by insurance if the un-imaginable happens....not worth the risk imo.

JaneC and Derek Engel like this.