Seating Regulations (Australian Standards)

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Farky66, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Cheers for the reply Mark. How would you go about getting it registed as a 5 seater? As the rear seat and all fixtures ect. are original would you still need engineers approval?

2. nikmag2

nikmag2 Member

I have a question about this as well, I have a micro bus with an "8" seat plate, I have to get it pit passed to get rego, do I need all my seats and seat belts fixed in place when i go for the inspection?

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes, as your rego ctp is cheaper.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, if the rear seat & belts are not covered by a compliance plate, they'll need to be inspected & certified compliant to current ADR's for the registered seating capacity to be amended to 5.
    Lots of Camper conversions have been done over the years that are not compliant - ie they were not certified against the current ADR's at the time of installation - this is where it can get complicated.
    To look at it another way, if you drove ANY other vehicle & you wanted to add an aftermarket seat, you'd have to have it inspected for structure & safety compliance....kombis are no different in this respect.
    Straight down the line: take it to an Engineer/Certifier & get their verdict, after all they are the one's that'll say it's going to stand up in the event of an accident.
    or...
    Take your chances of not being involved in a prang at some stage with passengers on board....that's what the previous owner did, probably unknowingly :umm:
    Compounding this problem is the issue that State to State, the rules/requirements differ.
    Good luck with this mine-field.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I disagree Mark. If it was approved at the time of installation, then it still complies. It is the same with towbars. Do you have a compliance plate on your towbar? Any towbars fitted after 1992 must have a plate.

Trying to explain that to the blue slip monkey may be a different matter.

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Phill, if that was the case - (original r'n'r's & belts compliant in the '70's) - why do so many folks get knocked back when they buy interstate & try to re-register campers?
    Countless anecdotes here of pop-tops & rnr seats requiring engineers certificates prior to registration being approved.
    (I think that's how Jamie's ADR compliant rnr's came about).......otherwise folks could just retro-fit an original rnr & pass inspection....

I think Farky's post is more about having the registered / complianced seating configuration changed on rego. papers.
    Farky's bus has a compliance plate for 2 but has seating for 5.......rego. papers reflect 2 seats only.

Just wondering, that's all.....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Too many bureaucrats with too many rules to interpret that differ from state to state. Makes it a challenge. When I was a boy we used to sleep on the floor or stand on the seat. Survival of the stupidest.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

There are a lot that pass without an engineer's report also.

As I said

Trying to explain that to the blue slip monkey may be a different matter.

If it is a Sopru that complied in 1975, it should not need to see an engineer. It is a standard vehicle.

No because it has to comply with the ADR at the time of fitment. If you fit a 1974 towbar to your 1974 Kombi today it would not be legal as it does not have a compliance plate. If it was fitted in 1990 it would be legal.

If you have a 1971 with low back seats is that legal as it doesn't pass current ADRs?

What happens in real life is a different thing.

The only retrospective laws that I know of were for gas, electricity and fire extinguishers.

I think that you could take the RTA on with this if you had the money & time.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks for the replies. It does sound all too confusing with variations from state to state and probably who you get on the day for inspections. Id like to get it put down legally as a 5 seater now so i dont have to worry about that if i was to move states. Will have to find out what an engineer says and go from there i suppose. I can never decide what i want to do with my van about seating arrangments... one day i want it to be an 8 seater and then other days id be happy with just a two seater with a bed in the back, atleast if it was registed for more i could take the other seats out when not in use and store them.

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Just because it is registered in one state as a 5 seater, doesn't mean that you can register it in another state.

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Oh so true. My '82 camper was registered as a 5 seater in the ACT when I purchased it. To register it as such in NSW meant a trip to an engineer. All was OK just an inconvenience.

Ian

12. Farky66

Farky66 Member

oh right, nothing is ever easy is it haha

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

My syncro has an approval sticker and is legal as it was installed in 1990. If you took the seat out and put it in another van in 2014 it would not be legal.

14. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

Im really pleased i have found this, my '78 Westy complete with pop top and rock n roll bed is heading over now.

no chance of a simple pop in for certification there then!! i feel my bus may end up being a garden ornament rather than traveling oz with 4 on board as we hoped!!

its a US import that i bought to the UK, and there was me just expecting the top tethers to be an issue.:(

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You will not know until you try.

16. Dhih 93

Dhih 93 New Member

Hate to throw a spanner in....
    But rather than start a new thread...
    In my '74 pop, Id love to remove the old kitchen and put in another bench seat along the side, so kinda like a limo set up in a L shape. What do you guys think the chances of getting this passed?

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Nil.

But you never know.

18. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Attached Files:

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

It would come down to if you expect to put seatbelts in it or change your seating capacity.

20. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

what does the sticker look like and where would it be placed?