Seating Regulations (Australian Standards)

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Farky66, Oct 30, 2012.

1. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Is your Kombi the one in your avatar? You say it's complianced as a 2 seater but if it's the one in your avatar with original VW rear wing windows, that means it is either a Microbus or Kombi. Only a panel van (no rear windows) or ute would have been originally complianced as a 2 seater; a microbus would be 8 and a Kombi at least 5????!!!
    There's something weird there. If you put an original Kombi rear bench seat in it, that locks into the original floor clamp recesses, and fit seat belts , a blue slipper can change the details back to what it should be - at least a 5 seater.
    You need to speak to a blue slipper who knows VW Kombis and the rules around them, because many blue slippers haven't a clue regarding Kombi's and ask for engineering certificates when they're not needed.
    Oh bugger, I just realized you're in SA not NSW...... So then I can't help you, sorry. I was gonna give you the details of my Kombi friendly blue slipper.....
    Good luck with it. The above questions regarding your Kombi being a microbus or Kombi should still apply in SA; originally, they would have been complianced for more than 2 passengers, ergo, you should be able to demonstrate that to the SA authorities and get the compliance modified??!!!

2. oldenwise

oldenwise New Member

I had an left passenger ex ambulance seat pass an engineer's inspection but had to remove the attached seat belt which was just cut off at full stretch where it retracted disappeared into the bowels of the seat...He said he was familiar with ambulance seats and passed it.. I had brand new ADR approved seat belts installed and no problems. all passed. I did have to remove all the rear seat belts also.

Frontline Campers over in Brookvale sell the seats for $20, I bought 2 and they came with rails...they convert ambulances into full on campers...these seats are not the same as the normal front cabin seats.

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Not entirely sure about the info above Marcus. As far as I'm aware most Kombi campervan conversions were complianced as 2 seaters. This is mainly due to the fact that the left the factory with 2 seats destined for camper fit outs.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Next to the compliance plate.

5. KombiMadness

For sure, if it was a camper conversion from new, but looking at the avatar that Kombi doesn't look like an 'official' camper conversion..... That's why I asked if the bus in question is the one in the avatar?

6. KombiMadness

For sure, if it was a camper conversion from new, but looking at the avatar that Kombi doesn't look like an 'official' camper conversion..... That's why I asked if the bus in question is the one in the avatar?

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

kombis were often registered as 2 seaters as at the time it meant a discount on rego . think this got it in as a commercial vehicle or something similar which attracted less tax at time of first sale. Obviously they were only fitted with 2 seats.
    In qld any changes in seating requires checking and details recorded.
    check SA requirements

8. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

All good , well nearly, I'm complianced and rego'd as a 4 seater I just need to sort the top tethers to be able to carry the kids.

Is there an easy way around this, ie another type of car seat, or does anyone know of somewhere a can approach about getting them in and locations that are acceptable.

I don't really fancy a NSW crab bar, so looking for other options

Forgot to say I'm in brisbane, so have been trawling the qld transport site to no avail

Tia

9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Trying to get 8 seats in a 2 seater complianced Kombi with original bolts and seats. Not as easy as you think as there are apparently changes in the rules going on. All original seatbelt mounting and seat mountings in a 74 but the inspectors in Hobart are discussing whether they will allow it without headrests. If the axe falls the wrong way we are up for brand new seats to the current ADR's with seat belts fitted into the seats, plus engineers design work to fit them in the order of 3k+ a row. I dare not mention a rock and roll bed. Will let you know how we go.

Adrian

10. maddogmacca

maddogmacca New Member

11. Cooper62

Cooper62 Member

I recently had to get my bus licence changed from Queensland rego to WA rego and it was an absolute pain in the arse, simply because the WA Inspectors really had no clue about the seating regulations......

My bus has three front seats and a Kustom Kombi 2 seat rock n roll bed in the rear......It took me 3 days of inspection, re-inspection, arguing with them and me providing a mountain load of evidence that the rear seat was built in accordance with the dimensions as are defined within VSB 5, so the rear seat is therefore fully ADR compliant.

I even had an engineer's certificate from Queensland attesting that all seating modifications were compliant with current ADR specifications, but the freaking clowns in WA were trying to tell me that a Queensland engineering permit was not valid in WA as things varied from state to state.

I had a bugger of a job trying to convince the WA DOT muppets that ADR means "Australian Design Rules" standards as in the whole of Australia and covers all states.

Bloody damn painful experience that I never want to go through again. There were times that I had to restrain myself from clocking the idiots I was dealing with.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    David H likes this.
  12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

but the freaking clowns in WA were trying to tell me that a Queensland engineering permit was not valid in WA

That is correct.

"Australian Design Rules" is an oxymoron. We even had different engines for different states.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I am posting this in the hope that it may assist other people with NSW registration.

Fact: AUVIS inspectors are only tradesmen and are not trained very well and would never have enough time to understand all of the regulations. Therefore the RMS has a special person that can be contacted by the inspector.

My 1990 T3 had a R & R seat installed by an ADR approved seat installer in 1990 which meant that I did not require to notify the RTA, obtain an engineer's report or have the vehicle inspected. In 1990 the RTA did not have records of seating capacity.

Years later the rules changed, things were privatised, although I doubt if rules were retrospective it may be a grey area. Last week I went to an AUVIS inspector for a blue slip so that I could have the RMS records show that it is a 5 seater to avoid any confusion in the future. I explained to the inspector that the seat was installed in 1990 and an approval sticker with an approval number was placed beside the compliance plate by the installer. The inspector thought that it would be OK but wanting to do his job properly decided to call the RMS. The inspector told the RMS the approval number and then the seat belt approval number as marked on the seat belts. He just added all of the information to my records and it is now listed as a 5 seater. This has been a bit of a concern as an engineer would not approve this seat to 2017 regulations.

So if you have trouble with getting a Sopru, Camperise or r&r seat conversion registered that has an approval number, ask the inspector to contact the RMS for clarification.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Chas Wilkinson, JaneC, Jethro and 5 others like this.
  14. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Great information Phill :)

15. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks Phill from all of us;). Great update said the Sopru owner.
    Cheers

JaneC likes this.
  16. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Hi, great info!! I have looked at a couple more vans in my search and all campers seem to be approved for 2 or 3. I need approval for 4 min. Could I be confident in installing a 2 seat r&r bed from Kustom kombis that is ADR compliant with lap belt one side and lap/sash on the window side that I would get compliance?

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I would see no problem with that.
    Best to run it past your chosen engineer prior to be sure. ( more a case of find another engineer if he is dragging his feet on it as it should conform by current rules) ;)

18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Getting one from KK seems to be the issue.
    Another thread here and they appear to be swamped with work
    Apparently JUst Kampers have one but I have not seen these

19. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

I cant see any claim from Just Campers that their seat brackets are ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliant, they just seem to be brackets that you would fit to the side of a seat mounting box as part of the interior fitout whereas the Kustom Kombi one looks like it is bolted independently to the floor which makes sense if it is going to comply. Ill push into this a bit further.
    Link to Just Campers bracket http://www.justkampers.com.au/rock-and-roll-seat-brackets-pair-for-vw-t2-split-t2-bay-and-t25.html

20. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

I have never had much luck getting those brackets to fit. They do have instructions but something is a bit odd. You have to make the side pieces and then work out where the brackets mount. Complete PITA. maybe it was just me. Price in pounds to dollars always seems to have a bit of a scene tax too to me.