Seating Regulations (Australian Standards)

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Farky66, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

2. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Geoff - the seat hinges and the bed seats are 2 totally different things - avoid the hinges for your sanity and go for a bed seat - hopefully JK can give you an answer on when their version will be ADR approved.

Jethro and Grantus like this.
  4. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

hi team, hope someone can helps with my questions

Hi All,
    I just brought a 1973 Kombi Bay Window, lifetime dream has finally come true and we are super excited.
    Its a 2seater with a rock n roll bed but I want to make it legal as my daughter will be riding in the back seat. I am looking at the approved Kustom Kombi seat but thought I would ask to see if 100% needed or can I put seatbelts on the seat that's in there with no issue?
    Also looking at putting a roof rack on with the timber slats etc. Any recommendations.
    Thanks team

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What does the registration papers say for seating?

6. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

i actually pick up the van today but apparently it says 2seater

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If it looks well made then see an engineer. If it looks home made or no steel frame then start with a new one.

8. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

that's what I was thinking, I want it to be safe etc for my family.

If I was to get a new kustom kombi seat and seatbelts does anyone know anyone in Brisbane that can install for me>?

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The only way you can be sure is run it past a certifying engineer.
    They tend to interpret things variously.

If it were unregistered and you fitted seatbelts it might pass the roadworthy.
    This then may pass at roads.

Just as likely it wouldn't as an unregistered van is looked at as new rego and previously accepted fitments are usualy regarded as new mods and not passed if there is no blue plate to authorise the mod.

Legally. Even if it passed without the blue plate, there's the possibility of insurance refusing a payout or claiming you haven't given full disclosure.

Generally a seat that meets roads dept specs can be passed.
    Items being ,frame, thickness of ply, locking hinges, securing to floor, dimensions, foam suitability, securing squabs, seat belt securing points, seat belt risers, new belts.

10. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

cool cool. I might go down the road of getting the ADR approved frame etc and new seatbelts and spend the money. At least I know I can get a comliance plate from an enginer.

Any help into where to get a roof rack for the kombi with the original timber slat look?

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Its worth having your seat checked first unless you are confident it will fail.
    Think you are usualy up for around 2k all up to have a custom kombi unit installed.
    One advantage is they are reported to operate better.
    Might be a bit of a wait for one ?
    Check out other threads on same.

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

For the rack have a look at Bus Stop and/or Just Kampers Aust web pages.

13. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Thanks Alpal
    I spoke to the Just Campers guys at Old Bar on the weekend, they are getting about 100 of their ADR compliant rock and roll seats in about 4 weeks or so. They will start taking orders as soon as they come off the water so they can be more sure about the timing. The seats can be adjusted to fit a 3 seat or a 2/3 seat arrangement for a camper with cupboards. They say that as long as you install in accordance with the instructions provided it is guaranteed to get ADR compliance. From what I understand they will be about $900 supply only, no upholstery. Proof may still be in the pudding but I cant see why (with compliant seat belts added) you shouldn't be able to upgrade your seating capacity from 2 to 4 or 5 as the case may be fairly simply. I think an engineer will still need to sign off following an inspection of the installation and sighting the ADR certificate that comes with the seat but this process should just be procedural, not subject to opinion. We'll see!!

David H likes this.
  14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Geoff,
    Prob gunna need an NSW engineer for all of it. Gas included!
    Opinions vary! Ask Lauren;).
    Why do you want a R&R seat when it's got one:rolleyes:?
    Cheers

15. David H

David H Well-Known Member

A bit in front to understand the stupidity of the bureaucracy:oops:.
    Comes back to what the manufacturer labelled (the one behind drivers seat)! & whats behind the passengers seat (as I showed last w/e).
    Cheers

Jethro likes this.
  16. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Hi David
    I have just read a couple of conflicting responses people seem to get when getting a bluey in NSW. Because the Bus I'm hoping to get has a full original sopru fitout my plan is to just go straight in for a bluey as I will be bringing it in to NSW with Tas rego and existing seatbelts for 4, all as is and see what happens. Some things I have read say it will be fine, should be no questions as the sopru fitout was endorsed by VW Australia as per the brochure and this is what I'm hoping, others say that as the fitout was not "original" from manufacturer when the vehicle entered the country (ie factory compliance plate says 2 seats) that they may apply current modification laws and not pass the R&R bed as a seat for 2, if this second scenerio does happen then i think the unit from JK will solve the problem, hoping however that I dont need to go to that extent, I will certainly be pointing out the sopru compliance label and taking a copy of the VW Australia endorsed sopru conversion brochure (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/3_76_campmobile_australia.php) to prove the "as manufactured" status. Ill also be checking this forum for all the Kombi friendly blue slip people.
    Agree, gas and 240v electrical compliance could yet be another whole story at the bluey stage. Exciting times!!
    Cheers
    Geoff

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

In 1976 Sopru was VW Australia so it was the manufacturer.

Jethro and old grey like this.
  18. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Hi David
    Still haven't picked up the Bus from Tas but did get a pic of the sopru compliance plate with the 4 seat compliance so thats great!! Thanks for that

upload_2017-10-14_14-22-57.png

19. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Hi Syncro
    Found this great re-call notice from the Sydney Morning Herald 24th Oct 1975 Put out by Volkswagen Australia Pty Ltd instructing 'factory" repairs be done and vehicles returned to Sopru . Along with the campmibile manual ((https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/3_76_campmobile_australia.php) Good evidence for compliance officers who dont believe sopru fitout = VW Australia original!!
    Cheers
    Geoff

upload_2017-10-14_14-26-20.png

syncro and David H like this.
  20. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Just campers R&R bed ( and all the others for that matter NSW)

I intend to use this bed but these R&R beds are not actually compliant.

They have only been built to meet vsb5 specs.

They mention vsb5a but for that to be correct JK would have needed to supply everything.

Frame, upholstery, anchorage full set of instructions. a robust compliance plate(a sticker doesn’t count) stating that and also sewed into the upholstery.

What this has turned into is vsb5b, you fit this thing to vsb5 requirements.

There are no anchorage plates 60x60mm min according to an earlier version(actually 3000 something sq mm doesn’t specify shape but must conform to floor shape) or instructions on how to go about it (instructions stop at assembly). You are responsible for the whole installation.

According to the specs the anchorages are light on (4x8mm bolts for each person sitting on the seat (in my case 8 bolts) the bed I have has 6 anchorage points.

I don’t have a problem with this as I’m going to make this do what I want before presenting to the signatory. But beware you are in for a journey if you’re going this route legally.

I think the engineering details from Jk may have been for a complete installation(don’t know, I don’t have access to it), but I’m sure my installation is going to undergo a stress test ( as opposed to a crash test someone else has mentioned) as anyone else is going to have to go through who is doing this and wants compliance.

Having looked through all this I am sure that all of the R&R beds on the market are in the same boat (stuff up in QLD as well).

I have a copy of the latest vsb5 and tried to upload it to kombiclub but no go. If one of you mods can do it please do in the sticky in “seating regulations” in the kombi club forum (where I’m also putting this also) https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/files/VSB5.pdf

I know this isn’t pleasant but information gives you more power to do what you want.

Rick.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    David H likes this.