1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Start Kombi

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ian61, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Greetings all. In the past 8 years I've had a number of false starts when it comes to getting my 76 Bay Dormobile back on the road. But I find myself now with a hard deadline - my family wants to drive from Canberra to Perth for Christmas.
    I had the engine rebuilt a year or so back and have the base electrics (wipers, lights, etc...) fixed up. I need to make it a legal five seater and have just purchased a JK R&R seat (which is a frigg'n meccano set scant on plans). I have also ripped out the entire interior, so will be rewiring the rear, building cabinets, headliners, door cards etc... I have also stripped the front to bare metal to patch some dodgy paint work (I overshot the mark on that one!). Luckily in removing the windscreen I found rust in the sill, which was the only rust in the bus, so I think it was fate...
    In terms of getting the bus ready for rego (and making it as safe as it can be) I have read heaps of yarns about rego nightmares, and almost as many about how easy it was... I'm hoping for easy but banking on nightmare!
    Unfortunately everything I know about mechanics, body work and electrics can be written in block letters on the back of a matchbox... If you don't mind I would like to tap into your collective learnings. I've looked at so many posts here where people have done amazing things and incredible restorations. I'm just aiming for a functioning bus and not having the kids pushing us across the Nullarbor - at least not all the way!
    (one cool thing thus far is that I managed to fix the old windscreen washer pump which hasn't worked since a week after I bought the bus in 98.)
    cheers, ian

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Are you Northside, or Southside in Canberra? :rolleyes:

3. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Southside... Curtin

4. Grantus

Probably worth dropping by and having a chat to Marty, the manager at Bridgestone Select in Tuggeranong, about your needs.

He is a Kombi owner, both Split & Bay, an ACT Rego Inspector, a fully qualified VW mechanic.......and a nice guy to boot! ;)

David H and cbus like this.
  5. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

You cannot get a better combo than that. Thanks Grantus.

6. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Looks like you've got your spare time planned for a while.
    There are plenty of people here that can and will answer questions you may have and give advice.
    I think Grantus is right, you're going to need help
    I would make contact with the guy he mentioned.

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G'day and welcome.
    Looks like a good project you have

8. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Have put the oil heater in the garage and am set for a day of patching the fibreglass dormo pop-top. It has wide-spread Osmosis! Fortunately i've patched a few boats so I am approaching this with slightly more confidence... 'Tis going to be 9 degrees in Canberra today - wet and windy - so indoors is the go. Thanks for the welcome and the advice thus far. Looking forward to finally getting the bus back on the road.

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ian, welcome to the party that never ends :D
    Don't worry about the kids pushing the kombi across the nullabor :eek: ....... strap a harness on them and they can do some pulling also :confused:

Wayne murray likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC Ian61. Sounds like your already enjoying your kombi in warm quarters. Good luck with your deadline hope it goes to plan.

11. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Many thanks. All will go to plan as usual... which is usually not to plan!

David H likes this.
  12. Grantus

Forgot to say:

Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

Get it sorted - so you can then enjoy the ride........;)

13. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Thanks Grant. Enjoy your evening. I managed to get 1/4 of the pop-top, which is riddled with osmosis, filled and sanded... Off to make dinner now. Appreciate your help.

cheers, ian

14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome Ian61. Nice to hear your day was successful. Now just to put a hundred ( or 2 )of them together;).
    Cheers

15. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy the experience.

Ian

16. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Active Member

Hi Ian I will look forward to following your progress, best of luck with it all, cheers Greg

17. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Thanks Greg. So far everyone on KC has been fantastic. Lots of good advice... Now I just need to get 100 or so members together for a working bee!!!!
    cheers, ian

Mordred and onetrackwonder like this.