1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seized exhaust stud removal tips please!

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Bay75, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Bay75

Bay75 Member

I’m trying to replace a few exhaust studs on a Type 4 engine and have got one stud that refuses to budge. I’ve successfully removed the others by welding the nut to the stud (the threads were stripped so couldn’t bind 2 nuts together) but this last one is not moving and just sheers the stud off above the weld.
    I’ve tried heat on the stud (glowing red after welding) and heating the exhaust port (butane torch so maybe not enough heat) and I’ve tried cooling the stud with ice. Nothing is working, not even the WD40 or tapping it with a big hammer.
    Are there any tricks for young players I can try before I run out of stud? 4B18DC68-45AF-4710-91D9-6311D8C4B6B6.jpeg A47D7BFC-FAA2-489A-9EFA-1AB1A3851065.jpeg

2. omelette81

omelette81 Active Member

Hiya
    Hoping this might help

Weld nut on end but then Freeze the stud once cooled (Freeze and release works best) and then heat the head around stud not making the stud hot as heat makes metal expand.
    Or
    Try the attached style sockets on a ratchet only and these could do the job.

If all else fails drill a hole in the middle and use Ezy-outs or Torx bits to remove but do not break these off as they are a nightmare to drill out.

Wishing you luck.

Timmo

Attached Files:

Mr Beckstar, rstucke and David H like this.
  3. Bay75

Bay75 Member

Thanks @omelette81 . Last week I used a stud puller same as you suggested to remove the stud and it worked a treat! I had to bend a fin out of the way to fit the socket over the stud but it was the best solution. I didn’t want to risk welding onto the stud again as the stud was getting short and I was worried if I broke it again a stud puller would have nothing to grab.
    Thanks for your response, now I have the stud pullers they will be my go-to item next time this happens.

David H likes this.
  4. omelette81

omelette81 Active Member

Got a set and have used plenty of times now, just get a die to suit stud thread as can damage thread mildly.

Glad it worked.