SEQ / N-NSW Coastal Camping with Fishing Recomendation (for blokes)

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by 68BUS, Apr 13, 2015.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey folks,
    I have had a bit of a look through and cannot find what I want.
    My brother and I plus a few friends often go up to Noosa Northshore and Beach Camp for a couple of nights.

I was interested in recommendation of other places as an alternative.
    Last time I spent 3 days fishing to catch 3 fish and killed about 300 Horseflies that were attached to me legs.

Where as while staying at Bryon Bay - Belongil beach, 3 hours of fishing netted me 6 fish.
    Plus there are pubs and surf (without sharks anyway) etc....
    And I can take the bus!!!

Can anyone recommend cheaper camp sites to suit tents for a bunch of blokes to go to for a fish and a surf and a few beers?
    I cannot afford to stay in a house at Belongil again but as the same time it does not have to be byron.
    Anywhere from Kingscliff are down to past Lennox,
    Or maybe Sunny Coast?????

Thanks.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

High country NZ. not much surf [wouldn't want to without 12mm suits anyway]but good salmon and trout .
    probably cheaper than Byron :)

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

You know Col. your right. And it would be quicker getting there than the standard Bryon traffic jam going in too!

4. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Hi Brad ,
    I've got a mate who lives in Ballina who loves his fishing & seams to always catch plenty ! Not to sure on consistency of waves thou ?o_OHe's away with work at the moment not sure when he's back ! he works as a chief mate on a cruise ship ! But can ask when he does get home if you like ?? He might not tell me his "Spot" thou ! :rolleyes: You know how you fishermen are !!!:p

5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I had a mate who did the cruise ship chef thing. Except he worked on a Shieks boke un Europe. 2 weeks on the year he had to be on the water cooking. The rest of the time he fed the crew and partied like an animal.

Ballina would be an option. I was not a huge fan of the town itself but the beach just north before Lennox was amazing. great surf, dolphins a plenty. Would happily go there every morning.

6. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

I'll ask the question as soon as I know he's back !!;)

7. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Brad old chap...you are embarrassed with a surfeit of magnificent coastline...I disrespectfully suggest you should just learn to fish :D
    JD in Adelaide

stusbus and 68BUS like this.
  8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

JD, I secretly just want a nice surfing spot with somewhere for my brother to fish.
    I will take down all my boards and take the boys out while he stands on the beach.
    And when he fries his fish I will rub my pub grub full belly.

stusbus likes this.
  9. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

Cotton Tree Camping Ground in Maroochydore (actually in Cotton Tree) might fit the bill. Your brother might find some surf off Point Cartright, or on the north side of the river, and you can fish off the beach and rocks. The Mooloolah River heads have breakwaters that sometimes have some good fishy action when the tide turns.

The 'premium waterfront powered sites' are terrific - they face the river to the west, so you get lovely sunsets. In fact the sunsets there are really quite amazing.

My favourite sites however are the 'unpowered sites' which are at the tip of the park where the river meets the ocean. Directly adjacent to the sand, but with a good amenities block only 30-40 metres away.

It's not a cheap park, but it's about as good as parks come as far as location, facilities, and how close it is to everything - eateries across the road, surf club 5 mins walk away, even Sunshine Plaza shopping centre is less than ten mins walk. There's even a bus service that goes past the entry gates.

68BUS likes this.
  10. Weekender

Weekender Active Member

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks gents. Will do some budgets in numbers.

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

For an awesome NZ fishing trip, leaving the Kombi at home, rather than taking it with you, will greatly alter the budget numbers! ;)

68BUS likes this.
  13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I have seen some great nz buses for sale. Budget would blow out if I brought them home.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

dont think they are any cheaper in NZ?
    Stayed at the pub at Omarama when fishing the area and what I really pined for was a kombi parked on the grassy riverbanks[clear water not upside down like here] under the willows and frying fresh caught trout.

Working on it :D

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I said great, Not cheap.
    There have been a few OG condition splits for sale in recent years.

16. Subdub67

Subdub67 Member

Hi 68Bus, I have just come back from my hometown of Moonee Beach NSW, it is very beautiful, there are lots of camping, cabin and house option to choose from, the surf is consistent enough and crowds minimal. Your brother can fish off the rocks, beach and in a tidal estuary, there is a Coles, tavern and shop at Moonee and the locals are friendly...much like me;) my folks have the Moonee Beach House (insert plug here)so check it out on stayz if your interested. Here's a pic of beach, behind the pine trees is the caravan park.

image.jpg

$150 a night for the house, otherwise camping is a cheaper option.

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

That look nice there. I will show the boys.
    Like the shot of the splitty at your folks place.

18. Subdub67

Subdub67 Member

Ok cool, good luck with the search! Here's a pic of the bus at the Moonee Beach House;) image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Squalo likes this.
  19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help folks. I want to try and mix up spots a bit. I found another that I booked today. Flat rock tent park just north of ballina.
    http://www.flatrockcamping.com.au/cp_themes/default/home.asp

I won't be doing any dawn and dusk surfing due to recent events. Will fish then and surf in the middle of the day (in groups). Looks like a nice a nice place and my first bus sleeping (since the hammock incident) looking forward to the rock and roll bed.

20. Weekender

Weekender Active Member

Flat Rock has a beautiful beach. Long, long walk to the pub :mad: