Service Parts - made easy for parts stores

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Dubman, Jul 22, 2010.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Inside and air con on hot days are probably a good idea for first couple of years till you aclimatise :)

re 'hot tips'
    just the usual fine attention to engine seals, foam to body, plugs, any and all gaps/holes in tinware, clean engine and gearbox, shield between muffler and engine tinware,all tinware including push rod tube covers in place, if heater pipes not in place ensure holes are blanked off,[best if heater box fan is connected so that cooling air can be passed thru boxes and reduce radiated heat to heads.],good oil [thats basis for a lot of opinions :)]
    Oil temp guage
    Ensure cool air to carb intakes
    Usual attention to timing,tappets and carb tune

once it gets over 38C cooling can get a bit more touchy so drop in speed to suit can be benificial.

Additionals
    As I dont have an original heat shield over muffler I have made substantial shielding with metal/ceramic turbo shielding. Also insulated inside of tinware in the area where air travels to fan intake[type 1V engine]

opening front door windows disturbs [negatively]air flow to engine intake vents

head temp guage if you are realy worried but I just check plugs for base info and know if things are hotter than usual.
    i also have hand held infra red thermometer.
    clean fan and shroud. painting fan and interior of Al shroud should give slightly better flow. picky but easy to do if its apart for any reason. POR 15 suitable product.

high temps are only a few months, easiest to adjust hwy speed for any realy hot days. other than that ,an engine with everything in place and well maintained shouldnt suffer to much.
    a cooling run down for last 10 km is also a good idea.

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just an additional note for plugs. When looking at the numbers bear in mind that some brands go the other way. For example the smaller number is a hotter plug and with Bosch a smaller number is a colder plug. Here is an explanation to make it clearer.

"When dealing with Bosch spark plugs, the heat range is again designated by the number in the middle of the part code; a “W8DC” has a heat range of 8 and a “W6DC” a heat range of 6. However, the Bosch rating system is the opposite of NGK’s in that a low number represents a colder plug (2 is the coolest) and a higher number a hotter plug (13 is the hottest). This system seems more logical to me, but I’m sure NGK have their reasons for their choice!

The Champion system is similar to that of Bosch in that the smaller the number, the colder the plug (4 is the coldest) and the bigger the number, the hotter the plug (19 is the hottest). Other manufacturers may have completely different labelling systems again, so it can get very confusing!"

Here is a link to more info. http://matchlessclueless.com/mechanical/ignition/spark-plug-temperature/

Adrian

3. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

many thanks, i picked up some b6es this afternoon, so they will be in maybe tonight. as for the other bits most things are already in place except for the heat shield above the exhaust, i may have to look into this, and also source a head temp guage in due course