1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheriff's 2000km Road Trip Pics

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by Sheriff, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd give a debrief with some pics and tips on some great spots discovered...2 Kombis, (joined by others and non Kombis on 3 legs). Lots of people coming and going and sooo much fun. Neither bus missed a beat!

Day 1 was just a stopover in transit from SE Melb to Adelaide. Found a great park in Horsham Vic, Horsham YMCA CP right on Wimmera River, walking distance to town. Lots of space and very low key camping.

[​IMG]

Then on to Adelaide for 3 nights with family. From there up to the Barossa where we met up at Klause Fockers Brewery in Grennock - fantastic and well worth the visit and warm KC welcome!!!

[​IMG]

From there to Tanunda CP - Nice spot, new pool, good facilities and you can easily walk to town to visit interesting shops and nice pub/eateries. Had a fantastic KC catchup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More coming...

2. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

In the Barossa the Hamburg went to Wolf Blass...closest he could get to Wolfsburg and ended up seeing double!!!

[​IMG]

Departing through the beautiful Palm Tree'd path of Seppeltsfield - incredible landscape planted long ago quite clearly!

[​IMG]

From the Barossa it was off to Mildura via Renmark. A long race but the Surf Rat won in "Imelda"...

[​IMG]

It is an easy drive through some incredibly harsh country...well worth seeing. On to Mildura next post...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  3. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Mildura is stunning!!! It reminds me of middle Italy, grapes, olives, citrus, eateries, wineries...I absolutely reccommend a visit!!! It was our first real engagemnt with the mighty Murray River and it was worth the trip. An insight into a critical Australian artery...you could feel the life of the river...

We stayed at River Gargens CP in Gol Gol, low key, smaller park, right on the river. It was good but not great, lovely outlook directly over a winery with a pool and nice facilities.

[​IMG]

Easy access to everything including Trentham Winery...mmm...right on the Murray - (also, take a Paddle Boat ride from Mildura Wharf. Magic trip and important to get on the river to get a good feel for it!)

[​IMG]

Eat at "Stefanos" - the cellar restaurant if you are loaded or the cafe for more affordable fare - either way...part of the Mildura legend so you might as well tick the box!

On to Echuca...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

LOOOVED Echuca...

Heritage town right on the River. Great shops including BlackSmiths etc...second hand books, conventional retail. Great eateries and drinkeries!!!

We stayed out of Town on the Watiki Creek. 30ks, no mobile reception, peaceful, low key...great for KC trips. Very welcoming and you could party with camp fires blazing - highly reccomend this site, we'll return!

http://www.wakiticreekresort.com.au/

We spent lots of time on the River...

[​IMG]

This is a MUST DO!!! We hired a BBQ Boat and travelled the River at our own pace, pulled up on a beach and had lots of relaxing time...

[​IMG]

A safer way for VWTombi to learn how to drive!!!

[​IMG]

All in all this was a brilliant trip, we did not have 1 bad day!!!
    13 days on the road. 1 x transit stop in Horsham. 3 x Adelaide. 2 x Tanunda, 3 x Mildura and 3 x Echuca + travel either side. This was Kombi living!!!

Happy trails and thanks to all who joined us and made it so great!!!

Rich

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks like a fantastic trip. I am very jealous again. :D

All the better without mechanical trouble.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I'm jealous too!! (especially of Echuca..) It looks like you had a fun time, met some good people and saw some wonderful sights.... Great trip, great pix - thanks heaps for the report, Rich! :)

7. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I am very jealous. I haven't done a long trip for nearly a year so have the itch. Probably wont do one now until July when we run across to Mannum to catch the Murray Princess for a week. We will camp for a week both sides of the trip so should clock up more kms.

8. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Ian , make sure you let me know when your over ok ...

Rich and family , great to see you had a wonderful time and im so so glad we caught up if only for a few hours cheers and glad your all home safe and sound

9. heartland

heartland New Member

Looks like good times Sheriff :) Wish we could of made the trip with you

10. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Excellent Rich. :) ..Thats a trip we want to do next year so will look at your itinerary..Glad you had a great time and met up with many members...What a way to have a holiday ay. My last memory of mildura was as a kid and it was like 45 degrees...

11. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Nice trip Rich. Planning a huge one in Glomo for the end of this yr and hope to get down around that area so nice to know a few spots to head for.

12. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

That has been a really nice roadtrip , am very envious. Did you stop in Ballan for a lunch break. I saw the 2 kombis as I was just going out on a job and was planning to try and catch you when I returned but alas you had moved on. Rod.

13. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Hi from Cammo

Great Pics Rich. We are all envious. :lol: