Shifters

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Doc, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Active Member

When I first drove Kombis I had enjoyed the memories of previous gearboxes I had learn't to drive on........Mini Clubman, Morris 1500...

When Marley was being done up I decided to also add Bling to the Kombi and obtain a SCAT shifter. I heard that the bushes needed to be replaced as the shifter was very unforgiving and a little slop in the gear linkage bushes would cause a lot of problems especially second gear.
    Unfortunately the bushes didn't get replaced when my resto was done and as I could still change gears with the SCAT shifter only occasionaly not getting second I coped until a few months ago when my son was learning to drive and couldn't make the change from 3rd to 2nd. At this stage I had also met some local boys into racing beetles.......when they drove my Kombi to do some work for me they told me they hated my SCAT shifter and I should change the bushes. Despite the fact you are meant to drop the engine out to change all the bushes you can do all by doing it in stages which I did. Alas though after I changed every bush and greased and changed rubber boots the scat shifter was still impossible for my son. So I bought an Empi shifter to see if he could manage this.......When I took the SCAT shifter out I found this.
    [​IMG]

I compared it to the Empi shifter I had bought and put a vernier across the ball at the end.
    The SCAT had a ground down hex bolt that went from 17-18mm depending which hexagonal was prominent the Empi had a ball of 22mm

[​IMG].

Roy can I purchase a new ball and socket for the SCAT because I am sure that it is the cause of some of the difficulties.....I should have the reciept still from the original purchase.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Doc

Doc Active Member

As This is The Bay Tech Clinic
    I am writing this up also for knowledge and experience passing on.

The Empi shifter was much better but came with another problem 1st gear and the hand brake occupied the same point in time and space when doing a hill start.....another observation my learner driver son made painfully aware to me....I made adjustments as much as I could but unfortunately couldn't get the hand brake clear enough for my son....Yes I adjusted the bottom plate yes I tightened and shortened the handbrake and yesI put the shifter in a vise and tried to bend it.....All to little avail (in truth it was slightly better)
    So speaking to other enthusiast I bought a Gene Berg shifter...This is a nice piece of precision made equipment and here they are
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Berg shifter is the one in the middle: Here is another picture of the Berg's ball compared to the ground off bolt on the bottom of the SCAT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  3. gsa2at

gsa2at New Member

nice collection
    surely one of them should work!!
    i've got the original vw shifter in mine and its fine

4. BIGBUB

BIGBUB New Member

thanks for this post Doc, I am buying a new shifter in a few weeks and was going to go with the Scat shifter, but now i will definitely go with the Gene Berg shifter. Being a learner driver myself and also being 6'10, the normal shifter hits my knee in 3rd and 4th gear so a straight shifter would be the preferred option.
    Where abouts did you purchase your Gene Berg shifter from and how much was it?? I know Roy only sells the Scat shifter.
    Thanks again Doc!! you saved me a lot of time and effort.
    Cheers
    Matt

5. Doc

Doc Active Member

Available from www.geneberg.com make sure you buy the RHD one ....was the most expensive of the three at over $300

6. Archeress

Archeress New Member

I can understand that you would have two shifters but 3?...

7. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

No problem with our Empi Quickshifter!

I know we have had a discussion on this before Doc but Wilfred's Empi Quickshifter has given us no trouble what so ever....... nothing like what you described with 1st gear and the hand brake occupying the same point in time and space when doing a hill start.

The gear changes are tight and smooth........ and I can't wait for the mongrel to get back from Geoff's ....... even he does have gas!

Cheers
    Brett

8. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Can I ask who it was that did the shoddy work? Surely a professional mob wouldn't think of grinding down a hex bolt :wtf:
    Glad you've got it sorted now and Kombison is able to use Marley as his learner car...I reckon if he learns on a manual Kombi he will have no trouble driving any car in the future!:)

Lorraine

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That is absolute bull shit what they have done to the scat - it should have a ball on it like the original or Empi or Gene Berg. Seems as though someone ahs bastardised it so no wonder it won't work :(
    I've never had any problem with my Scat and sorry to see another sad tale with Marley but glad you got smething sorted albeit at extra cost.

10. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

The Scat dragfast shifter is renowned as being one of the best shifter's avaliable. I have fitted these to three bus's now, bays and splits.
    There is a knack as with any shifter, standard or aftermarket, but the scat shifter will give no problems at all. It is advisable the bushes and couplings are renewed, as any new shifter will not solve a problem, it will onlyenhance the gear change.
    I would personally recommend the Scat without hesitation

[​IMG]

The Scat certainly is not sold with a ground off hex bolt, maybe there is another reason why this was done ??

11. MarkJC

MarkJC New Member

There probably is Roy, but it seems where all too polite on this forum to actually say what that could be.

12. Doc

Doc Active Member

Roy do you think someone like myself who bought so much stuff from you and always bought what he thought was top of the line would ask to have this done? As I put in my pm I am not looking for you to replace it but I will need your help in getting parts to fix it. If the installer states he bolted in the shifter is this what he means? If I had asked for you to do this would this be what I should expect?

13. Roy

Hold on one minute Doc, I didnt say you asked it to be done I was merely stating my own experience of Scat shifters and thier reputation. I do not know how it was fitted as I sell parts and do not fit them for other people. I do not know why you are dragging me into this thread. You sent me an email and i have asked my supplier if they have any spare parts for them. I doubt whether they will as they sell complete shifters but lets hope there is a damaged one somewhere. I will help you as much as I can as with any customer of the Bus Stop, but I can not be held responsible for the fitting, take it up with the fitter

14. Doc

Doc Active Member

Roy never held you accountable just need a hand sourcing parts....as you can see from the first post in this thread. Do you believe it is unreasonable to think that if you had a SCAT shifter it would be installed like this....... from your post I would gather not. Should I try and source replacement parts from a different place.........I would hope that I shouldn't have to. I am very patient in terms of obtaining difficult parts.....eg spare wheel rims etc and always prompt in paying bills.

15. Roy

Doc
    Like I say i am trying to source a spare for you, since receiving your email.
    No, I wouldn't fit it like that, but I didn't do the job in the first place?

16. Doc

Doc Active Member

Very much agreed

17. MarkJC

MarkJC New Member

And I wonder who did? Oh I know.

18. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

One thing I found with fitting the Scat (and this only a minor issue) was the standard shifter bolts of which there are 2 have the thread cutting tip and these may be a little short because of the thread cutting tip being tappered. If the bolts are the right length and not tappered then no problem.
    With any of the after market shifters they do not have the locating pin at the front of the ball as the standard shifters do which makes you be more cautious in getting the ball into the socket.

Looks like the ball has been cut off to shorten it and maybe why the hand brake and shifter problem. I got big hands and have NO such problems and find the Scat great to use - I did not rush into buying it but went direct to Scat and asked questions to a couple of concerns I had - Roy would vouch as to how fussy I am with anything I buy and he double checked the shifter before shipping it to me and then answered a call of assistance in fitting.

I'd be going back to the installer Doc and asking them to replace the shifter.

FYI Scat are not the fastest in answering emails - took them about a week to answer my inquiry.

Just stating my experience and knowledge (albeit it limited) on this :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  19. Toni J

Toni J New Member

Fitting Empi Shifter

Doc,
    I know Tracey from up here had trouble when she had her empi quickshift fitted, Wayne did it for her and being a VW mechanic knows what he is doing, but alas found her whole gearbox had been moved forward:rolleyes: therefore that's why handbrake and quickshift were hitting each other!!!! after moving gearbox back to right spot all is good!

Where was that bus done again;)

20. Doc

Doc Active Member

Toni I had thought of "shortening" the linkage to make it "fit" but I will check the mount points on the gearbox. What I would like is the Knob and ring pull of the empi shifter on the mechanism of the Gene Berg with the leather skirt of the SCAT.......now is that too much to ask?