1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping the VW abroad!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BUS_TER, Sep 19, 2018.

1. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

So the the squeeze and I are heading off to the UK and Europe for four months next year and are now waiting on a quote to take our own 89 Caravelle over to do the touring. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and could give some tips or share experiences.

Ive done some research and it doesn't seem to be too painful (haven't had the cost yet), the UK will obviously be ok but have never driven on the opposite side of the road (Europe) and more so in the right hand drive position.

Found this on RACV which makes it seem pretty straight forward. Obviously I would need insurances not sure on the rates for a four month trip.

https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam.../taking-your-car-overseas-member-printout.pdf.

To me it would negate having to buy and then worse, resell before we head back.

So if you have any advice, tips or even places that are a must to drive to then please share, I look forward to your comments.

Oh yeah, and the bonus is I would be able to load up on parts, bits and pieces for the UK for my beloved T3!!!

2. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

We drove a RHD 1971 Ford Transit Camper around the UK for 3 months and then Europe for 6 months, many years ago, no issues with being RHD, although we did buy it in London. Didn't have the challenge of transport from Aus.
    The van was broken into in Barcelona, and Rome, and Madrid, and Pamplona! but apart from that, all good!!!

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Two Australians shipped their T3 syncros to Berlin for a syncro show in 2015. They didn't seem to have problems.

Get a Carnet de passage.

Make sure you put it in a container or it will be delivered lighter.

Coming back to Australia make sure it is very clean. Even if it is clean, you will still get ripped off for cleaning charges.

4. PICT

PICT Active Member

Getting it into Europe will be the easy bit, getting it back into Australia will be the hardest bit, it really needs to be very very clean, there is no pissing about with it, make sure it's spotless and then it shouldn't cost you too much.

If it was me and only going for 4 months I would buy over there and save on all the headaches, if i was going for a couple of years i'd consider taking it.

I run on the figures of a 40ft container anywhere in the world is going to cost you roughly $6k, one way, say 2 vehicle per container then thats 3k each way, add a bit of paperwork/cleaning money and 7K is very easily reached for a round trip, but I would budget for $8k, plus also the timescale of you not having the vehicle in Australia before you go and when you return, 2-3 months each side.

5. PICT

PICT Active Member

I've done plenty of drivnig around Europe in a RHD vehicle, you would get used to it quite quickly and it's not really a problem apart from at road tolls if you are on your own

6. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I am interested in what you come up with though, still stratching my head over the same conundrum