Shock Absorber

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by shaven, Dec 30, 2015.

1. shaven

shaven Active Member

Hi All,

Just wanting some opinions on Shock Absorber's.
    What are people using? What are the best?
    Are KYB the brand to get?
    Also, is anyone running a heavy duty Anti-roll bar? Thoughts? Is the handling better?
    Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers Matty

2. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Hi Matty
    I've got KYB all round on my bay & have had no issues with them at all ! What swayed me toward them was $$$ there a hell of a lot cheaper than Koni's & the fact there still good to use even if your bus is lowered a couple of inches ! So there a thumbs up from me :D!
    With regards to the heavy duty sway bar I haven't got 1 as yet & not sure if I will my bus seems to handle really well even in a cross wind ! I have spoken to a few guys about them who have had them fitted & they've said its worth it especially getting a bar fitted to the rear ! They say it takes the wobble out of it !! :) The guys at Leons motors in Salisbury fit the after market to the rear ! Looks pretty cool too :p

shaven likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

A lot will depend on what you are trying to achieve, ride wise.....
    Koni's are the top of the tree.....you'll get what you pay for.
    Cheers,
    Mark

StevieVW and shaven like this.
  4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Bilstein and Koni are best. Bilstein will outlast your Kombi. I don't have any experience with KYB.

If you want handling, get good quality tyres.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Check the ratwell thread on sway bars and konis.
    Its good advice that needs to be digested.

Handling and comfort is a package . Depends what you want or comprehend.

shaven likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

x2 for Koni's...;)

shaven and StevieVW like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Personally - I use Bilstein now I can afford them. Last a life time as they are rebuildable
    Before that I liked Koni and Sachs

Again, personally, I wouldn't use a Cofap if it was given to me

Other bits need consideration as well.
    My 1303 super had Type 3 torsion bars and KYB gas in the rear and 130 pound springs and Sachs inserts up front
    Beautiful to drive

shaven likes this.
  8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I have Bilsteins on right now with C rated tyres and still handle great. Will soon be lowering 40mm with weitec springs and Koni reds and some decent Toyo tyres which will be a step up in handling but a notch down in comfort over rough ground. But, on the black top it will be real nice :)

shaven likes this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Be interesting if you can do one step at a time Phil as a direct comparison but guess the shocks in the front will be done same time as the springs?

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Did think about that Col as is an easy job to do just the shocks.

shaven likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Anything to make more work:D

Have driven a mix and have my views on each and everyone has their own views or preferences but if it was convenient to do it even as part of a teaching day it might be interesting?
    How low profile on tyres?

shaven likes this.
  12. shaven

shaven Active Member

Thanks all.
    The bus will be lowered a few inches but not slammed or anything stupid (to old) :p
    It will be used as a daily as well as doing a bit of highway driving with the family etc
    On the black stuff in want it smooth (yes will be buying decent tyres)... I don't mind if its a little firm, but not hard... off road i don't care... bumps are bumps.
    I like handling & cornering to be nice... don't want it to sway/drift/wobble etc also to handle ok in the wind ... if i point it into a corner I want it to go there... well as best a VW bus can of course ;)
    It seems there are choices. Pay more or go the KYB's. Can the dearer ones be used on lowered buses? are they adjustable etc

13. shaven

shaven Active Member

Really appreciate this Col.
    I remember seeing it years ago... I could build my own bus from this hahaha :D

14. Woolly

Woolly Member

Howdy,
    Happy new year to all!! I changed from Cofaps to Koni's all round (72 cross over model) and have front about half stiffness and rears about two thirds stiffness and ride is great. It is certainly a bit more aggressive / firmer and corners much better in particular. I have also heavy duty front and rear sway bars (from Mick Motors - Empi unfortunately) and the rear certainly has helped remove a lot of wander / sway when on the highway - especially when being passed by large truck or similar.
    What shocks you can use will depend on which method you use to lower the bus I understand - my bus is stock height.

Cheers,
    Brent

shaven and StevieVW like this.
  15. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Koni's be adjustable. Me like on the the wife's bus.

shaven likes this.
  16. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Curiosity - three questions (for the naively adventurous)
    a) Approx how much for a full set of Konis for a '73 Camper
    b) Is it relatively easy to self fit or leave to the experts
    c) Shocks only or if you are going to do it, then go the whole bushes and mountings?
    Just noticed on Pompi this evening as she sat on dead level ground (a rarity) that she has a definite lean to the rear left o_O

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

$800
    Dead easy but don't stuff the thread in upper rears.
    Handling is a factor of everything being in good nick.
    Shocks controll movement only.
    You need to check and replace/ reset
    worn rubber bushings, check for broken front leaves, align.

Unbolt the bottom bolt on existing shocks and measure van for level ensuring level ground and correct weight distribution.
    Check tyre size and pressures.
    Usualy allow +- cm.
    LHR low is unusual so check its not due to gas shocks or stuffed rubber bushes on torsion bar.
    Also been mismatched torsion bars.

Good shocks are worth the money and payback in longevity.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Gordon D likes this.
  18. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

If you dump it 2 inches it will be a HARD ride!

19. Weekender

Weekender Active Member

Gordon
    I recently fitted Konis all round and had the rear raised to have the rear of the car above the front. That improved handling. The various front end components were already in good condition. Then fitted new tyres and that improved handling and general drivability some more!

Leo

David H likes this.
  20. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Gordon D,
    Shocks won't change the 'level' your vehicle sits at unless......... Do try Cbus suggestion to make sure it's not a locked shockie on RHS. Bit hard to check mismatched torsion bars without dismantle but could be a look as Cbus says.
    My guess is your bus has miles & torsion bars lose their spring over time. The LHS first as there are more bumps on the LHS of the road than the middle!!
    My 76 dumped the front torsion leaf beams at 400k (LHS) & both rear torsions at 500k. Became 'los lobos low rider' within 2 weeks. Quite amazing to see how that rear torsion shaft disintegrates!
    If the 'off level' is of concern you can 'buy some time' by moving the trailing arm on the spline.
    How many km's?
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017