Shock Absorber

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by shaven, Dec 30, 2015.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I reckon this is one of the more important ways of setting up Kombis & perhaps more so with campers. Where the weight is (the rear) & what height it 'sits at' is very important about the balance of the bus. Gotta be able to move that rear mass up & down to get the corners done! It's about the 'squat' when it's moving quick & starting from a higher position the 'squat' is deeper.. Personal opinion only & enjoy how others may set up their Kombis.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Just re-looking at some of those shots tonight Leo and Macca certainly sits squarer than Pompi does

Ahh, now there's a good question David - 77700+ on the clock but who knows when the last time the suspension was looked at? I was provided a folder with all the service history that the previous owner had so I will troll through that and see if I can get an answer. Overall she seems to ride OK ... just was looking a little odd t'other day :)

3. David H

In time you may learn to speak Kombi as your bus is always talking to you even if you haven't known him since birth. Your question shows how you are learning to speak Kombi. You got kids Gordon D? If so you'll note they are all different & that's Kombis. Bit like @wirrah on here whom speaks spaniel.
    That suspension is talking to you slowly! Not today, not tomorrow but in the future 'if you ignore me' I'm like a young child & will speak louder. You should hear the noise as your rear torsion bars explode (I was impressed & I've heard some noise over time). Louder than my kids at their worst!:rolleyes:.
    It's a bit like hearing, feeling & seeing what your bus is doing & then prioritising how to keep him in 'tip top' shape if that's what you want.
    Cheers
    PS. Don't like the language of smell on these buses. Always expensive...the smell of burnt oil!

Gordon D likes this.
  4. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Try and find a copy of Steve Walsh/John Knowles video "Buglingual" about the guy who can speak to and listen to Beetles and Kombis. Originally posted on VW Australia's site late last century but not seen since.

David H likes this.
  5. David H

Thought you'd get the reference Greg:). It's a language on it's own but no different than dogs. Just gotta learn their language;)!
    Cheers