1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SHOEBOX ELECTRONIX ECU Electrical Diagnosis Tool

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Andy., Sep 30, 2019.

1. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Hi all,
    Does anyone have one of these, and if so did you purchase with the ECU, or modify your own?
    Am thinking it's time I get one of these to help monitoring.

Just wondering firstly if they are a big help, and secondly how hard is it to unstal your own ribbon cable?

Thanks

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Are they still available?

3. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Yep, Vancafe sell them, as either just the unit or as a kit that includes a rebuilt/tested ECU

Adding the cable to the ECU does not look daunting, but to have a rebuilt ECU would be nice also.

Other than looking at your EFI component by component with a multimeter, I'm not aware of anything else to assist trouble shoot an MV motor, plus can be used while driving.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Just a thought would be to run the ribbon from the ecu to a terminal board up front. Then a passenger could check with a meter while you are driving.

I thought of a better idea of making an adapter lead so that you can plug in to an existing ecu.

Getting a rebuilt ecu means you could inherit someone elses problems.

5. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Thanks Phil,
    Yes the adaptor plug is a great idea, and I have looked at that also, but finding a plug you can make that sandwiches in between is not so easy. It would also be difficulty to fit under the standard cover.
    The box comes with a lead long enough to reach the ECU from the cabin (or engine bay). For the occasion you'd use it, that would be sufficient.

The people re-building the ECU claim to replace all parts that are known to fail. So hopefully better than 30 year old parts that might last or might not.

For me, I would keep the original ECU, the modified ECU with a cable would be the spare I carry

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I may send them my toaster so that they can tell me how long it will last so that I can buy one on special. (sarcasm)

Electronics don't work like that.

I was thinking of a standard male plug from a loom at one end that plugs into your ecu. Then a female socket from a scrapped ecu that your original loom plugs into and the ribbon coming off that.

Wayne murray likes this.
  7. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

True Phil, the joys of driving 30+ year old vehicles....
    Understand what your saying on the cable. I'm sure the plug would be available as a standard, everything else is.

I'll start saving my pennies to get one of the monitors!!
    Richard