Should i trust Caltex fuels?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by 77/kombi/surfer, Jul 18, 2017.

1. grumble

grumble Active Member

My 1st boss and mentor for almost 40 years said " don't trust an oil company" and he was right,they shafted me something fierce, but the upside was they only did it once. ( but it cost me a lot of money)
    Correction- they got me twice.

Tangles likes this.
  2. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

I tested Vortex today, pretty much the same as the other 98, fuel gets a bit cloudy and the water level gets a bit lower. I am happy to use 98 as it shows that it mops up water in your fuel. I'll do a couple of 95's and then I'm done.
    I've had shit fuel in the past but have come to realise that it was an indiscretion of the servo's.
    The small amount that the higher octane fuels suck up is due to alcohol of some sort (doesn't mater which) which is a good thing in my books.
    On the use of 91, looks like no ethanol/ alcohol at all.
    If you think that your fuel is sus then take a skinny bottle, put some water in it and add some fuel from your tank. If ethanol is the cause then you'll see a definite increase in the water level.
    What I have realised is that E10 doesn't absorb water but comes out of suspension when it encounters water (definitely not good)
    I've just buttoned up my 2ltr engine with 8.3:1 compression ratio so am now held to 98 octane which after all this effort is not wasted time after all as I'm more than happy with the results.
    Rick

chris taylor, David H and Grantus like this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Some of the papers I have come across described the different additives used.
    From memory, some used in 98 were to keep water in suspension and when conducting tests like yours it was necessary to allow some hours of settling .
    Sounds like what you are experiencing ?
    Especially given the cloudiness of the fuel.
    Maybe let a test sit overnight and recheck levels and clarity.

The use of detergents was also very specific as to what was cleaned, how long that took, how they interacted with other additives, levels in different grades of fuel, damage if over certain limits.

chris taylor likes this.
  4. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

When I checked vortex yesterday morning I left it in the jig till just before I went home (6 hours)
    It took about an hour to settle then never changed after that (stayed slightly cloudy).
    The amount of water absorbed was very small, about 2ml in a ltr of fuel (only had a line on the tube and its size to guess by)

5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi Grumbles , sorry to hear that they got you:mad: , unfortunately in this day and age shafting seems to be a way of life for a lot of major companies, intentional or otherwise , I was going to give you a "like" but that may sound like im happy you got shafted ,which is not the case.:(. but what was the second time??????
    regards Chris

6. chris taylor

What was the reason for specifying Caltex over BP , Shell , or the independents . No particular reason for the question, just curious...:). I normally use BP as its the closest one to me.

7. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

Just convenient at the time
    Will check more fuels and post when I've got the time.
    I do want to do a couple of 95's
    Things might vary from state to state so you might want to do some testing down your way

8. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

It makes little difference because the companies all buy fuels from each other in each state depending on who owns the nearest refinery or import terminal, the only difference is the additives blended in at the terminals when the tankers are filled which may be different for each company.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I try to buy the same brand each time and get a receipt just in case there is a problem. Then I can point the finger.:eek:

10. chris taylor

Hi Phill ,yep your probably right and that could be a good thing to do ,but bear in mind if its your word against theirs ,they will win every time . What i mean to say is how can you prove that you did not top up else where or put something in the tank yourself, i think it would be a hard battle mate .
    best thing to do would be to take samples every now of the fuel you are using at a particular servo and test it yourself for your own piece of mind and if all ok keep using that brand ,
    Just my thoughts. Best regards Chris.

rstucke likes this.
  11. chris taylor

I still have not done any tests yet, as i am not sure where to get these Vials that rstucke uses , or some thing similar , .

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Chris.
    Not just a matter of word.
    If you submit a fuel sample plus sample of contaminant plus indicate pump it was purchased from then its easy enough to test the tank and your sample for a match and existence of contaminant.
    But don't leave it too long to do so.
    The fuels can be analysed to confirm a match.
    Most contaminants are usualy rust, sand, or water.
    Often present in tanks which is why tanks are meant to be allowed to settle before returned on line after filling.
    These contaminants are the usual cause of problems in cars that have filled from a particular servo.
    There is often a cluster of breakdowns associated with an incident to also indicate a problem so likely anyone affected is not alone.
    Don't expect honesty from a servo.
    Complain to the appropriate authorities giving relevent details.
    Submit copies of receipts for towing and repairs.

These are for contaminants.
    Not fuel variations in blends.

Although fuel substitution would also be a reportable matter.

Cheers

chris taylor likes this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If you get bad fuel, then someone else will get it also. If you make a complaint the fuel company will check the tanks and they have no problem paying out. That's why I use brand name fuel. (BP, Shell etc)

chris taylor likes this.