1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side Louvre

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Barry, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is this a dumb design from VW.

I don’t drive my T3 as much these days as we moved offices into the city and I have the bus (literally) at the door.
    So it parks outside in the street and it is at a slight angle.

But WHY is the side louvre angled down so as it lets water in?
    NO weather louvre slopes down?

But WHY do I need a louvre there? The air inlet to the filter is blocked off on the other side.
    At least the other side slopes away from the side of the car and the water can drain.

Can you get “ears” for a T3?

But on the passenger side the water can only pool against the side where all the seams meet.
    Drilling a drain hole won’t help as it would need to be hard up against the side.

Every VW seems to have a stupid bit of build that would have been so easy to fix

97EFF8AB-EFB1-4C1F-88C6-22088330C59D.jpeg EA8FE404-AAFA-4043-B1AF-37E752D7340B.jpeg 2B80FDB8-81C2-47E6-930E-9C14A47DD349.jpeg

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I think they are angled that way to direct airflow downwards to the engine bay when driving. :rolleyes:

But they are def a leftover from the early air cooled motors........ ;)

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I don’t believe it would need air.
    The engine bay is open.

Just a pain for us that don’t have covered parking

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

5. Grantus

The engine bay is open on the water cooled models, but they are leftover from the air cooled ones, that do require the airflow.

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

They’re still trying to be a kombi......:p
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wayne murray and Wiz like this.
  7. Maccas

Maccas Active Member

Interesting conundrum Barry. This topic has been conjectured about often enough before ... with no absolute finding one way or t'other.

In answer to your first two questions above, one theory MAY well be because it's a vent outwards. Driving forward, combined radiator and engine heat under air pressure exits via underside of T3 AND as needs be, the rear passenger side "C" louvred pillar.
    One test for that theory ... is the louvre hot to the hand after driving some time and the motor having reached full operating temperature. Or else is the louvre not hot?
    Second test for that theory ... use a strip of very light, flighty fabric/tissue whatever, tie one end to a louvre and go for a drive. Does it get sucked in through the louvre or else blown out whilst driving under prevailing moving vehicle wind pressure.
    Maybe all T3 owners here could participate in doing these two tests and report back findings?

In answer to your third question, one theory MAY be that the drivers side "C" pillar is not wanted as an outwards vent, hence it's physically blocked off. That then enables an external source of air (ideally cleaner) being pulled into the top of the "C" pillar due to engine suction via air snorkel.

To limit/prevent corrosion to floor and adjacent body seams of passenger side "C" pillar, years ago I cleaned up this location, rust treatment if any, then applied a two pack flexible epoxy, the type commonly used in wet areas under tiles. Coincidentally, the colour of the epoxy I used was a close match to your vans off-white colour.

So for me ever since, whether stormwater or hose washing water enters through the louvres, draining down onto the epoxied floor/seams of passenger side "C" pillar, water either drains out into engine bay area or residue lays on protective epoxy layer and evaporates. I chose not to drill a drain hole.

Not had a rust problem in this area since. Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  8. Grantus

Errm.........”Whoosh”. ;)

I notice on the SC & DOKA’s, they reduced the amount of vents across the rear wheel, from 3 for the aircooled ones, to 1 for the water cooled models.

And those vents are way more “rainproof”, than the ones on the buses.

4DBFD027-F65B-453B-BEDA-527FCD32603B.jpeg

Syncro27 and oldman like this.
  9. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I believe they to let cooling air in on the drivers side and to let hot air out on the passenger side. I have had similar thoughts to how to fix the problem. The best I could come up with is a cover made of vinyl or canvas that is held in place with magnets when parked. However then you would need to remember to put them on and more importantly take them off when driving but I think they would solve the problem.

10. Grantus

If they were symmetrical, you could mount them upside down, to deflect rain to the outside...................... but they are not symmetrical. :(

11. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I made a set for my van the main problem was careless people knocking and breaking them :mad: gave up after the third fix. :(
    Fabricated Air Scoops  (1)R.jpg Fabricated Air Scoops  (2)R.jpg

Syncro27, Grantus, Barry and 2 others like this.
  12. Grantus

We’re they to increase airflow to the suby donk, rather than to stop rain when parked? :rolleyes:

13. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

As Grantus said. Best remember the original 1980 T3 design was air cooled. The engine compartment was sealed and cooling air for the Type 4 an essential requirement, hence the louver design left and right. With the introduction of water cooled power, the engine bay was opened BUT became dusty and dirty so the air intake snorkel was added. Sort of obvious, no ????

syncro, oldman and Grantus like this.
  14. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

A long story Grant, from the beginning the subi had oil, coolant and alternator overheat problems, took 2 summers to sort.
    The vent scoops were just one of many trials that did not work.

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. Maccas

Maccas Active Member

Physics dictate the passenger side rear pillar is a chimney. Fundamental function of a chimney is to pull heated air up, then exhaust.
    Compare that with the same physical functionality of a lit fireplace in a home.
    Exactly the same.

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Where to post?
    T3 Tech Help?
    What did you do to your kombi today?
    Members Rides?

Looks like here.

Well, my Campervan Culture / T3 Technique “ears” turned up today.
    Fairly easy to install except for the rear louvre screw. Reckon you use a ratchet flexible screw driver. Yeah, right.
    I have a bit of packing at the back till I work out a better way. More thinking a bolt fixed to where the screw goes and then get a wing nut in there.
    https://t3technique.com/media/pdf/Bullihutzen installation instructions.pdf
    They conveniently show how to do it up with the ear off.
    They also said to glue the top pieces together.
    I am an impatient bugger and used a small pop rivet where the pegs go

Whatever....... they are on.

Should keep the water out at least.
    Happy with the look. Don’t think I will paint them.
    3EF97155-3202-4320-AE55-25816085CAA5.jpeg 48319814-7F2A-493A-899F-80AF972495E7.jpeg B068B0CF-6B3F-414C-A65B-8C8FFA7CB176.jpeg
    B84609FF-2C66-4D1B-B6F4-1BC17E79D524.jpeg

Wattie, KahunaKombi and Wayne murray like this.
  17. oldman

A black permanent marker will fix that….;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

KahunaKombi likes this.
  18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Was more thinking if I should paint them white?

D82828A0-638F-4346-9BAF-72B02D1C49FC.jpeg

19. oldman

Doh ! :rolleyes:
    I like ‘em black……goes with the wheels…..
    Cheers,
    Mark

Barry likes this.
  20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You can’t see the pop rivets as is. They are too far in.
    If anything I might run a “filling” bead of black silicone round the side.
    That will help with the fixing and stop any water coming off the gutter at the back and running in from there

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    oldman likes this.