1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side Mirror Fix - floppy mirrors

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by hdj80, Apr 20, 2017.

1. hdj80

hdj80 Member

Both of my side mirrors would not hold themselves up or forward even after tightening the spring underneath.

What I ended up doing was dismantle both and cleaned the concave surface area (use tar and grease remover and or light sand paper.
    Using a piece of bicyle tube I placed it over that area with some silicon between it and the base/concave.
    I then re assembled the mirror and allowed the silicon to set overnight.
    Trimmed up the rubber tube that was exposed the next day.
    Then a light tension on the spring is all that is required to get the mirrors working normally.

Sorry no pics as I really was not expecting it to work as well as it did.
    One of the mirrors did not even have the plastic insert, but the rubber took care of that and all is great with them especially when I was ready to spend a couple hundred $ on replacing them.

Mordred, robbie0810, Grantus and 3 others like this.
  2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Another quality fix that costs almost nothing - great stuff.

hdj80 likes this.
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

A much easier way is to use carbon fibre assembly paste. I've had it on for over a year now and the mirrors have not moved and they're still adjustable. Available at any bike shop.

hdj80 and tomhic like this.
  4. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Both interesting fixes.
    I have noticed on my drivers side mirror, have just tensioned it a couple of times, but the bolt now just touches the door, so it's wearing somewhere and needs building up. The rubber tube idea sounds worth a go!
    The passenger side has been fine, but will move in buffeting wind

5. the bolts will eventually pull out of the mirror as you continually tighten then

hdj80 likes this.
  6. hdj80

hdj80 Member

Maybe with the rubber would help as you need a lot lease tension on the bolt/spring to hold the mirror in place... Just thinking...

Syncro27 likes this.