1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sink or no Sink?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Happy_Camper, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

Alright a question for those out there with campers, as shown below I've got cabinets in and am installing an induction cooktop, now the next question is sink or no sink? If you have a sink how often do you actually use it and do you think it is worth installing one?
    image.jpg

Cheers

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

We just use a plastic wash basin with handles. Easy to move about, you can use it for storage and you can walk over to a drain to empty it.

Adrian

ruby6689 likes this.
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

no sink ...but then i no longer have a built in kitchen

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

when i had a sink i never used it
    it was too small for my big mitts

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it depend on how remote your intended camping spots are? I'm guessing that having a tank and water supply built in, could be handy in spots where no water is available, and would save packing jerry cans......:rolleyes:

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

....maybe...i never had much problem getting water...i carry one of thoose collapsible containers. .for when we travelled to more remote areas.

7. DakDak67

DakDak67 Well-Known Member

Yes. Loved mine , used it all the time. Big freshwater tank and sink is a must in a pop top .

JaneC likes this.
  8. Happy_Camper

Alrighty lots of differing opinions haha, I guess if I have a sink it doesn't matter if it doesn't get used, but finding one small enough could be an issue.

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Been plastic bowling it for 30 years.. Easy to upgrade and recyclable.
    In fact its what we use at home as well!

Jerome likes this.
  10. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

My two bobs worth, I've got one, I like it, I've never used it in 20 years.

I've just re-done the bench top and will put it back in.

ruby6689 and Mordred like this.
  11. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Happy camper if you decide to fit one I have one from the camper that I dismantled.

12. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

We have a sink with pressured water from 60 litre tank.
    Never use it for washing up, use a plastic dish outside along with the stove outside.
    Do use the sink and dish that fits inside to carry cups and fishes from morning tea until washing up at night after dinner.
    Ours is fitted flush below bench top, cut out became lid and provides for a flat bench top when closed.

ruby6689 likes this.
  13. Happy_Camper

Yeah my main concern was loosing all that bench space for a sink, most cooking etc will be done outside anyway, thanks everybody for the input as only those who have actually used their kombis will know how often a sink actually gets used. I'm maybe thinking of getting a fold up portable sink which can be easily stored and then used outside when needed, I've heard in original campers that water has led to rotting cupboards and rusty floors which I think I would prefer to avoid.
    Once again thanks everybody!

14. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

We never used the sink in our '82 camper. It's location meant the bed had to be made back to a seat. We preferred to do the dishes outside in a basin as most cooking was done outside.
    Ian

15. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

We didn't want a built in sink, because anything that was big enough to be practical was going to take up too much bench space. So, we had a 42 litre stainless steel water tank fitted to under the passenger side with a drop down plastic tap. No plumbing in the van at all. When we want water in the van for cooking etc, we fill 1 litre bicycle water bottles from our tank. For dishwashing we combine an Ortlieb collapsible PVC sink and a 10 litre plastic bucket and use outside.
    Simple, and it works for us.

Jerome likes this.
  16. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I like this idea, I have one and YES I have used it, but mainly use a plastic basin or Camp Kitchens. I love the idea of having a bench top that covers it. Best of both worlds.