Skenes creek may 2012

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by Alpal, May 27, 2012.

1. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Aime for getting us together for a pre-winter gathering. Seemed like full-on winter on the way down with pouring rain and wind gusts. Arrived safely and the rain eased to be replaced with STRONG winds. Not a problem for hardy Kombi people. Light up the fire and eat some food and drink some! Reps from SA and Mildura so where were you? Will post some pics and more stuff later. Dinner beckons!

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. Alpal

Schmett & Bud Resting en route
    [​IMG]

Travelling the Great Ocean Road. Bud in pursuit!
    [​IMG]

3. Alpal

Fire Food and good company
    [​IMG]

Music and a bucket of Gl├╝hwein! (Thanks Irene)
    [​IMG]

Had a great time. Bus Stop is a great way to meet Kombi folk but these smaller gatherings are a great way to get to know some really nice people. Thanks for your company.

Did I mention food?
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry Kat)

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  4. jamash

jamash New Member

Benny and I made the journey home safely and have just finished up playing a great show.
    I had myself a fantastic time from the moment I left home.
    It was fantastic to meet every single one of you and I hope to see you all again really soon.
    I hope everyone else had a nice journey home.

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Yes thanks Aime, we had a great time also, even with the rough weather. Met old friends and made a couple new ones. Both nights were great with the fire and music etc and of coarse the great company. we were up and on our way by 9.15 am yesterday, we came to say toodles to you all, but the only one up and about was Geof.Will get some pics up when get a chance, i think Cathy took a few. Catch you all again on the next meet up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bennyharp

Bennyharp Member

Had an amazing time and met a very lovely group of people can't wait till the next one. Thanks to everyone for making an awesome weekend

7. Alpal

A Late farewell! Great to catch up Brian and Cath. Lots of fun even though there was some football discussion!

8. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Thanks to all who attended the Skene's Creek week-end. The weather on Friday was atrocious, but a couple of fire barrels and plenty of wood chased away the blues, that is until Bennyharp and Jamash arrived and broke out the guitar and blues harp and provided us with some great blues rifts. I often wonder about the youth of today, but if they were all like these two guys, then the future would look a whole lot brighter :D

[​IMG]

The "Brave-Heart" award belongs to Ginni and Sophie who not only braved the miserable weather, but also in a Kombi with a faulty starter motor. Fortunately they had Jazz (son) and Katie for back-up.

[​IMG]

9. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

A gathering of the clans........

[​IMG]

"Come on in, the weather's fine!"

[​IMG]

10. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

The camp owner Charlie, who later admitted to me that his "bark was worse than his bite" suggested that if the Kombi crew was able to make it a yearly thing, he'd make a special price for us. Maybe worth thinking about??

11. Alpal

bigyellowkombi was in attendance. Hi/Lo light confusion???
    [​IMG]

Been looking in Transporter Spec guide for details of transition from Lo to Hi and its does not help in fully explaining bigyellowkombi.

Book is VW Transporter and Microbus. Specification Guide 1967-1979.
    A good read for VW nutters!

The build year for VW starts in August so a 1972 could be built from August 71.
    The 72 mods (built from Aug 71) introduced the big tail lights, changed air vent shape, engine cover profile, welded in section behind engine etc. In 73 builds (from Aug 72) the bumpers were changed from square to round and indicators were changed from lo to hi.
    Still does not answer anomoly of bumper and indicator. All pics in the book confirm the above EXCEPT a pick-up single cab which has the round bumpers and hi light indicators.

Have started this thread in general forums.
    See http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?40566-Lo-hi-light-1972-1973&p=437315#post437315

12. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

Well I made it home, just didn't turn off the kombi. Another great weekend with great people. I like the samll gatherings as you get to have really good chats with people.
    Thanks Amie for organizing & Brian, I was awake when you left, just didn't realize it was you as you weren't in a kombi :)

13. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

It must of been cold as brain didnt have his shorts on.

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

He had them on the first day Martin, put the trackies on when it got dark and still had the thongs on though.

15. Alpal

Love the Brian conversion. Works for me!

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting up photos
    looks like fun??? even with the cold.
    Dont miss melbourne winters
    Looks like a good spot

Son will be there[melb] tomorrow so he has dug out his skiing thermals
    Will need the dry suit tho
    going diving with sharks, no cage.

col

17. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

C'on Brian. Tell the truth. Cathy made you put the long pants on:lol:

I'm damned sure I didn't hear you pull out, but thanks for making the effort to come across. Must soon be time for an event over your way?? Best get winter over and done with first though;)

18. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Isn't yours something like a 4 hour drive?? Surely you must have stopped somewhere for fuel??

Anyway, glad you made it. Nice to catch up with Sophie again and to meet your son and Katie.

19. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

Sorry about the late post to the Skenes weekend, we kind of just wandered about the western district and eventually found our way back to Mildura in a series of giant "S" curves !
    Irene still has the flu so I'm helping by not insisting the meals are ready on time!
    Sophie dog had a ball finding and bringing fuel for the fire she actually lost 200grams and is now a racey 22kg.
    Thanks Aime and all that attended, apart from the weather it was a fun gathering........until next time.

Geoff, Irene & Dog

20. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Hopefully Irene will be back on deck soon. I know the nights get cold up your way, but maybe the days are more conducive to a speedy recovery:) Great to see you both at Skene's anyway. Glad you enjoyed it.

You'll have to organise a event up your way somewhere. I'm sure there would be lots of places to make camp and have a fire.
    Cheers,
    Aime.