Sliding Door adjustment

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Doc, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Saw just now that the bushes for the U bolt in the hinge are available from JK. Not cheap and I would be checking that the wear is there before going down that track.

Adrian

2. courty

courty New Member

So I had a crack on the weekend and I now have a slider that opens and shuts with ease. The main problem I discovered is that the bolts on the lower bracket at the front were a little loose, enough that the bracket had moved. Once I adjusted that, I had the height right and and able to adjust the front and rear locks. So all is now good albeit the door doesn't sit as flush as I would like, but the seal is not old and could be the cause of it sitting proud.

Cheers for everyones help.

Tim

3. Paul Lawler

Paul Lawler New Member

1975 Kombi Camper

Hi Doc , is the bottom roller on the sliding door meant to run firmley on the bottom track?
    Regards
    Paul

4. courty

courty New Member

I picked this up from another post and I wasn't aware of it and thought I would add it here. Owners of lowlights, to bring the slider in at the rear, lift you handle up once the door is shut and that will pull it in. It always used to annoy me that the rear stuck out a bit and I had no idea that this was required.

5. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

They used to have a sticker telling you this but alas most have worn away including mine.

6. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Digging this up again :rolleyes:

Pre my door coming off for painting, it opened and shut well.
    Panel beater put it back on and it runs well and shuts flush but has trouble opening. Only meee component is a new deal from the us stop that I believe I have installed correctly.

Basically it doesn't 'pop' out like it's meant to at th rear and needs a push at the back from inside. (This was the same before I fitted the seal, same issue, so don't think seal is to blame)

Any ideas on best place to start to look?
    As I say it runs ok and when closed sits flush and parallel to other panels with pretty tight fit.
    Will find a pic soon.
    Thoughts?:confused:

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Mine is also slow opening at the back with new seal & all other hardware new but it does open !!
    My guess is the spring that controls the tension on it (about 80mm long approx).
    Mine was quick to open before & even with new spring is slow now.
    From bus stop I think.
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. The adjustment that opens spring.
    However I have tried both ways tho and no diff so far. Grrr...

9. David H

Hi Dan,
    I had to open my slider today to do internal tank connections & the sliding door seal came out of its gripper. Then I noticed cavity wax on the seal & inside base of slider. Cleaned it off with metho & ran a light film of WD40 on both.
    Opens a treat. Pops out like it should.:D

10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks David - will check that.

I took apart the rear locking mechanism yesterday, degreased and cleaned it and then lubricated and refitted. Have also tried adjusting the cable position done the other end, but no luck so far.
    Sound slike you may be onto something tho - especially as I haven't changed anything since it was removed - apart from the seal.

Dan

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

New seals will actually "stick", especially if they are not opened often.

Treatment as David has suggested should sort the issue. ;)

12. David H

Esp the lower best grip edge & bottom of slider vertical rear. I just went to it again. Make sure the bottom part of the seal at the back of the door is very wet with lubrication!

Or use a lot of talcum powder! Any surfactant will do!

Cheers

13. kool_kombi 79

kool_kombi 79 Active Member

First point of call, talcum powder as mentioned above, door should pop, lubricant will attract dust and dirt, so maybe a little graphite powder if talc doesn't work.

David H likes this.
  14. Dono's Dub

Dono's Dub Member

Ok, thank u all for various hints to setting this door up, I'm interested to see if I lift up the handle that the door might improve in alignment ( it is a lowlight) no info on a new roller Guess I may have to fork out $112 clams and see how it goes. Many thanks.

15. Dono's Dub

Dono's Dub Member

Ok, so I have both new rollers and nylon block, it does appear that there is a low spot in the track where door sits when closed. Will fit tomorrow and while it should only b 3-4mm lower at the back I may end up welding it. Will see how it all fits up.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Regards dono.

16. Dono's Dub

Dono's Dub Member

Who... bang on, 1 extra shim, new guide block, new roller and it runs as sweet as a button. The rear is still down by about 4 mm but it's operation is much smoother and closes first go. When I get a chance I will weld up the track to bring it back up to spec. I have noticed it's a bit difficult to open but feel this is more the aftermarket door rubbers being too stiff. Might invest in originals it the boss releases enough funds.

Many thanks all.

DanSA likes this.
  17. JaneC

JaneC Member

Oo where can I get those books?!

18. David H

Hey Dono,
    Try some talc powder on the door rubbers before spending $.
    Cheers

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member