Sliding Door adjustment

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Doc, Mar 4, 2007.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I'm being lazy n not reading back thru thread, but assume you have adjusted the 4 bolts that hold rear hinge to door to maximum gain.?
    Plus checked hinge for wear.?
    The Malcom engineering rebuilt units might be an option if you think there is play in the hinge and you have eliminated all other factors.

Related to smooth running rather than height but check waistline track for sharp edges caused by roller.
    Gently file as necessary.

kool_kombi 79 likes this.
  2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

As an aid to shutting from the inside when you are camping, a 5 min job with an old belt and 2 washers. This one works amazingly well.

Cut the belt around 300mm long, punch or drill a hole in each end, remove the 2 x 10 mm bolts in the back hinge mounts (forward ones inside the concave area below the window) and with the washers on the outside put one side on the strap under each bolt. If you put one side with the outside of the belt facing out and the other with the underside it should sit flat and not catch the roller cover. Might need a bit of fiddling to get it right but you can use it to pull the door the last bit shut with ease.

Oldman will be shaking his head as he gave me a beautiful adapter for an original door handle setup to do the same thing, but there was an issue with the plastic. I intend to use it as a template to make a metal version. I am so grateful he showed me his and gave me his spare, which led to this idea as a stop gap.

Adrian

JaneC, Jethro and Grantus like this.
  3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Another hint. If everything is lined up and you are still having trouble getting the door to click into to place, as it is bounces out and doesn't grab. It might look like the front latch isn't grabbing but it may be this. Take the rear latch off and grease the inside well. You don't have to remove the door and with a little help from someone else you should be able to do it in situ. Some white lithium grease is best but moly grease also works. Give a bit of movement before you bolt it back on. If everything else is pretty close it should latch very easily now.

Adrian

JaneC likes this.