Sliding Door lower track worn

Discussion in 'Body' started by Burnstar, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

My sliding door has started to stick in the nearly closed position, upon inspection it looks like the lower sliding door track has a grove from the roller path and the lower sliding door bracket is starting to rub on the track.

What are my options for repairing this and any recommendations for some in Sydney / Central Coast that can do this repair?

You can see the smooth bit in the front of the pic where it starting to rub

[​IMG]

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Think it's more a replacement than repair ..... panel section could be available so check out The Bus Stop web site or give them a call.

Mick Motors @ Northgate Qld could have the Section OR Vintage VeeDu Supplies in Campsie who could be your one stop shop for supply & fitment if irrepairable :rolleyes:

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Burnstar,
    I'd start with removing all that 'sticky grease' to discover if the panel is grooved & needs replacement. The slider uses springs to pop it out & anything that slows down that action is an enemy of the door!
    My bus is 40 yrs old with very little wear in the track (like almost none). Lower rollers needing replacement can cause wear and may be why someone has put all that grease in.
    Only place I've seen metal worn thru is on the top roller in the closed position.
    Clean it out & post a pic.
    Cheers

4. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

The grease is me :0 I replaced the roller on the rear arm a few months ago and the door is closing beautifully (it went from 2 hands to close to a gentle grasp of the handle and slide shut).

I also replaced the bottom roller at the same time and just in the past few days it has started to stick, I had a good look today and if I lift the front of the door slightly it un-sticks). There is a definitely a groove in the track but to me it doesn't look too bad (maybe 1 mm).

I might need to check that replacement bottom roller in case it has worn for some reason.

I shall give it a clean and take another pic.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Looks like the track has been ' repaired' previously.
    Quite common for some degree of indentation although I am sure one in good nick may be better.

A replacement section is available and you could cut the flat section from the repair part and fix it on top of existing.
    Issue may be that some repair panels are a bit thin so durability may be compromised.
    I have not used one of these.

But I would check that the catching is in fact due to problem in this area.
    If you determine that it is then maybe a good clean and build the area and join with nickel bronze then grind flat.
    Any panel shop or welder would be able to do that.

6. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

So.....
    Sorry for not replying sooner, work has been super busy.

The roller wheel fell off the back of the sliding hinge the other day, I knew the thread on the shaft was damaged from the last time I changed the roller, the nut just had enough grip but I looks like with all the vibrations and load this isn't enough.

I tried a tap and dye set but the shaft has gone wedge shaped from the wear and short of being machined and re-threaded I'm not sure what I can do? (the blue stuff is thread lock for my temporary fix)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]