1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smell of fuel

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Jason Smith, May 22, 2018.

1. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

after some advise, only been on the road for a month or so and can smell fuel. Nothing over powering but finally looked under the van to find the below. Can someone shed some light.

All hoses are fine from tank to motor. The part that looks like to have a overflow tube and also a couple of hoses in and out seems to be leaking some fuel??? I have a photo so hopefully it’s not that much of a major issue! Fingers crossed.

But can’t upload photo argh

MAP77 likes this.
  2. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

Hi Jason, It looks like your fuel pump diaphragm might have a hole. This is located under the car on the RHS.

3. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

That’s what I thought to be honest. Might just get the fuel pump replaced. Not sure if it’s a job I can do

MAP77 likes this.
  4. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

You might be able to purchase a replacement fuel pump kit.

5. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

I will try and find a Brisbane VW mechanic and pop in and see them to look at options

MAP77 likes this.
  6. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Jason,

Look local

Try Kevin Bell Mechanical 136 Glenora St Wynnum 33960364

Always has a VW of some sort in the shop - he has looked after Mr K for many years and I am happy with the service.

Disclaimer - I have no relationship with this business other being a happy customer

oldman likes this.
  7. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Awesome. I live in Wynnum so will go see them. Thanks heaps

8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just so you know, new kits and fuel pumps are not available and haven't been for years. You might be able to find an old original one but Do not go for the Chinese copies, they have a very bad reputation. Most go to electric but you will need some extra cabling as well as a tachometric relay to shut off the fuel when the engine stops and a solenoid to shut off the fuel so it doesn't leak out through the carbs if the needle valves fail.

Many threads on here about various options.

I would also look up on Ratwell.com the fuel tank vapour breather system for the tank as I reckon you will find the smell is coming from one or more of the connectors in the system. Great diagram on there as well as the size of fuel hose required.

Adrian

cbus likes this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Second what Adrian posted.
    And familiarise with it all yourself even if the mechanics do it.

Not all mechanics know these busses. ;)
    Plus you learn to keep in top of maintainence.

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

Scroll down a bit and you will see a diagram under heading FI fuel tank. The breather hoses are the same for carb. Most you can get to easily but the actual tank ones you will need to remove the firewall which is much easier with the engine out. The red one is a bugger to find and reach but is a very likely source of the smell.

Ratwell is full of great info, but bear in mind there are some differences between the American buses and the Australian versions, mostly are in the EGR and Pollution systems.

Adrian