So How Did We Get Here?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, May 7, 2012.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes its easy to forget that not everyone has been here from the start. To give a bit of history we need to acknowledge the founder and sponsor of Kombi Club - Roy. Without his generous sponsorship, this forum would not exist. There was a gap in existing forums that were already online - there was a need for something kombi based, that was family friendly and helpful to all kombi owners - regardless of year of manufacture and model. I came along with my brand new T4, expected to be ignored or bagged out, but instead I was welcomed and have ended up part of the furniture. Something that still happens everyday.

Roy has supported our yearly Easter Bus Stop right from the start and I am sure if his health was a little better he would be there in a flash. So if you are looking for parts and need quick service, give Roy's The Bus Stop banner a click and see if they have what you are after. If not, give them a call, I am sure they will help if they can. Roy also provides the Kombi Club stickers free of charge to members, an easy way to spot a fellow member wherever you are.

THANKS ROY :heart:

Debstar likes this.
  2. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Well said Melissa, Although I am not quiet a piece of furniture more a pair of well worn DC shoes left by the door from time to time,
    It was happily googling one day when I came upon this site I found myself browsing and reading some great light hearted banter between the more seasoned veterans, seeing post after post of advise, photos of inspiring Kombis and Kombi adventures. I was hooked, I quickly decided that this Club was full of my kind of people, Although I made a few events, It took me some time to get to a Bus Stop (this year being my first)and after finally meeting a number of the members and drinking with them it was cemented that not only where they my kind of people but they are borderline alcoholics:eek: ...no wait that's not entirely true. Some don't drink:lol:
    I still consider myself a newbie even in this my 4th year. I learn something new every day and am far from getting to know everything and everyone but for years to come I certainly intend to try may need a back up liver though and a few more holiday hours saved up for Bus Stop 2013!..

Here's to more Kombi time and heres to Roy!!! Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Debstar likes this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Joined 31-05-2006. Was going to sell the Kombi as it was not being used. Found the KC site and my Kombi passion was re-invigorated. Stripped Schmetterling for a paint job and away we went to the first Bus Stop in Canberra. Been to all since.
    Also my thanks to Roy for the Forum.
    What are the relevant dates Mellisa?

Debstar likes this.
  4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Okay, I was never going to sell my kombi, and never will ....

but yeah I found a friendly forum where I could discuss things that, as a new owner, didn't mean I would be ripped on by the know-it-alls of other forums (who, let's be honest, love to put down anyone that is less knowledgable) ...

I found the Kombi club, got my kombi on the road (just!) to Canberra, and have never looked back.

But I learned my kombi, and after 6 years I know it sort of back to front. But sometimes things surprise me. Always, the things I did not expect. :)

and shucks I would love to talk about the four thousands of kilometres I do every Easter but as much as I love it, it would bore you to death. But my 72 kombi does it, and as everyone knows it is not the best looking of vans. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Debstar likes this.
  5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I know there was a crash at the start of the forum set up so some members who joined right at the start had to join up again. 25th June 2005 is the date that I can find for the website being set up. I didn't join until 6 months later.

Debstar likes this.
  6. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I found KC back in july 2006, after purchasing our then 74 bay bessie. Needed some parts and found Roy selling on ebay, then spotted his busstop link and here we are still here, but with no kombi. Thanks to Roy and the early members who got it all going.:D

Debstar likes this.
  7. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

Yeah, good joint this! Been here for a while, but I mainly just sit in the corner and people watch. ;)

I support Roy as much as possible too.

edit: just ran some figures, I say something every 9 days on average!!

Debstar likes this.
  8. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Well I was around before the Kombi Club....showing my age here...:)
    ...I have been heavily involved with the VW scene for many years before and still remember the chats & phone calls with Roy about a club specifically for kombi drivers & why wasn't there one already.
    I am one of the original members that first logged on here...
    It all started for me with my black beetle ...I went everywhere In it....that included every early kombi club event I could get to....which did annoy a few being the only beetle in a kombi club photo ..:lol:
    But I supported Roy and what he wanted to do...even if it did annoy people bringing a beetle to a kombi only event....but I broke down a barrier doing that...because that's what I wanted...I wanted people to come in anything they drive as long as they shared the VW passion and could still feel they were welcomed & invited ...even if there car wasn't drive able/ hadn't bought one yet/ intended to buy a kombi ....we all started somewhere
    Since then I have 2 kombi's....& still have that beetle ....and I'm still here..
    After all these years I don't think your going to get rid of me anytime soon..
    ...yes I can say I am part of the (original) furniture here...
    But I have noticed all these years besides the kombi's themselves its the friendships that have formed...this club is my family...it's the people & their attitude that makes a good club
    As Craig (Invisible Smith) once said here..
    "I came for the car...& stayed for the people"....

ME TOO!!!

Debstar likes this.
  9. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

I joined in October 2005 :eek: Yes it is really easy to overlook where we started, how we started and WHO started KC. Sure we have been around for many years and we know but there are just so many new members that wouldn't have a clue, thanks Melissa for reminding us.

I also stumbled upon KC via Ebay, purchasing parts for our precious 'new' Maggie. I had no idea a 'KOMBI CLUB' existed and was thrilled to find out off Roy that it did. I love the forum and for that reason we always go straight to the Bus Stop (Roy) first for parts when I need them as I know this helps pay for the running of KC.

Thanks Roy for all your time, effort and financial support that has enabled us to be part of this the fantastic forum that you dared to make happen rather than just dream about it. :heart:

Debstar likes this.
  10. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Are we there yet ????

Debstar likes this.
  11. Bennyharp

Bennyharp Member

I joined in 2010 but i thought it was earlier. Best website for me. Sadly im pretty slack when it comes to computers as i never really sit down to use them. BUT! when i do its straight on here. I really appriciate all the members on here and would love to thank Roy and the moderators but also not over looking EVERYONE as im really thankful for all the replies and messages that have helped me through some kombi woes n such. I really look forward to meeting as many members as i can. Sadly i could not make bus stop this year because of canned heat but i will definitley be coming next year.

Cheers
    Peace
    Benny

Debstar likes this.
  12. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I can only parrot what has been said already, in saying that, I will "like" Judy's post about family.
    It is a awesome feeling to know that all around Australia,(and in part, the world), we have this group of friends, some of which I consider my extended family, that we can count upon, call upon whenever the need arises.

The Invisible Smith aka Craig penned it and Judy quoted it and I will reiterate it,

I Came For The Kombi, I Stayed For The People.

Debstar likes this.
  13. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

I fumbled my first " post " on any site on 30.3.10 immediately consequent upon irrational purchase of '77 rustbucket and on eve of Mt. Gambier Bustop. [ In fact I have never posted on anyother site...I dont do cyberchat...far too intellectually arrogant to dull the senses thus ] I always thought Roy as a religious deity or mythical creature..you know the one...renovate your Kombi or Roy will eat your first born or take him/her into the woods . Ultimately I am indebted to Roy as he is the genesis of this collective, and I take this opportunity to say thank you very much! I am a penitent benficiary and unworthy recipient of extraordinary good times, wonderful fellowship and enhanced knowledge of not only my Kombi but people I would never have the chance to meet otherwise. Saddened if you are not travelling well Roy, but what an oak tree you have sprouted! Very best wishes. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

Debstar likes this.
  14. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Been here from the start, although was busless for 3 years after selling Genevieve, just loitered with intent, keeping an eye on things. Remember buying parts from Roy in 2005 and he wanted to start a club for kombi owners. Good idea, we had our first Run to the Sun at Bribie with I think it was 12 busses and about 30 for a cruise the next day. How things have grown. Without the input from Roy this might still be just an idea, no BusStops, RTTS etc. Welldone old mate, I don't think people really know just what it has taken. Thankyou.

Debstar likes this.
  15. grumble

grumble Active Member

Thank you Roy for your forum and also all of the kombi,transporter & beetle owners who have supported my workshop when I operated it also to those who have purchased S/H parts since I sold it,Unfortunately I had a rush of blood and sold my T3 auto but we will continue to support the vw people and will offer advice & assistance when it is possible. We find the forum very enlightening and entertaining and hope it goes on forever. Kind regards Les

Debstar likes this.
  16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I was new to the "interweb", and joined a forum in the UK, the "Brickyard", that had advice and help for T3's, so I became a "Yardie"....

Only when I was asking advice about a possible purchase of perhaps another T3, another "Yardie", our beloved Admin Melissa, gave me the link to KC. :heart:

I joined up, bought the T3 Vanders had for sale, and have been posting dribble ever since...:wtf:

Debstar likes this.
  17. greenbay

greenbay New Member

10908 members...I can't remember when I joined but I think membership was somewhere between 3500 and 4000.
    10908 thank yous to Roy for kicking this madhouse off (and Anita for supporting him).
    I've only made it to three of the last five busstops but I have met some of the nicest people you could meet as well as all of the online friends I haven't yet met.My family have enjoyed so many good times due to the KC and I guess due to you Roy.
    As for the Bus stop ,I have nothing but praise for it.Quality products,fair prices and great service.Cheers mate,you should be very proud of what you have done!

Debstar likes this.
  18. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

I joined in 2007. Had been thinking about buying my first kombi for awhile and was enjoying a sickie when I came across this site. Straight up I saw a pic of a kombi for sale and knew it was the one for me. Ever since I have enjoyed great times away,usually involving large amounts of alcohol, and met some of the nicest people I will ever meet.
    So, thanks heaps for starting this up Roy. It says something about the site when so many people have been members for so many years.

Debstar likes this.
  19. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

In mid 2009 I was simply "looking about" for a Kombi to "possibly" purchase and accidently came across this site. I realised straight away that this was something special. I began reading post after post and soon realised that the entire site had only been made possible by the amazing generosity of Roy and his team. To Roy, I shall always remain gratefully indebted.

I'm generally a very quiet and somewhat shy person, but soon after I discovered the KC site I managed to bumble off my first post. Not long after that I was pulling down a much battered, but otherwise sound 74 transporter which has already carted me to three Bus Stops and hopefully many more to come.

Has the ride been worth it? Ooooooh, hell yeah!! I've met some remarkably talented people who's amazing range of skills has me shaking my head in awe, especially where drinking is involved. I really didn't think it possible for people over the age of 50 to drink non stop night after night for anything up to 20 hours per day and in such good humour too:lol:

It was an old friend "Curly" that got me interested in Kombis with his tales of cruising around the lower half of Australia digging for opals and gold in his 73 camper with two dogs as his only companions and he did warn me that if I got into the Kombi scene I should expect to find a very diverse range of enthusiasts and his insight proved to be so true, but I must say I've never met such a great bunch of people who are so willing to help with advice and practical skills, so a big thanks to Roy for making it all possible as well as an equally big thanks to my fellow Kombi enthusiasts for welcoming me into the fraternity:D

Through rain and dust we go,
    our trusty Kombis slow,
    but we always seem to get there in the end.
    We light a fire and cheer,
    as we crack an ice cold beer,
    and see the day out with our Kombi friends;)

Debstar likes this.
  20. AdamBorzy

AdamBorzy New Member

Goin’ strong at 7 years… though just starting with you guys… I love to stay… Cheers!

Debstar likes this.