1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So why change your points

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by ttmck, Apr 22, 2007.

1. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

:lol: I'd be carrying that spare set of points and the condensor you pulled out of the distributor in the glove box. The electronic units don’t handle the heat very well. After 2 separate kombis in the past both had electronic ignition conversion failures 3 yrs apart I'll be sticking with the points in this one. Grease the cam every service that you check the timing and they last for ages. If the timing is retarded reset the points and check it again. As the points gap closes the timing retards. The best thing you can do for the ignition is fit a relay so full battery voltage goes to the coil, plenty of spark then. If you aren't getting at least 10,000kms out of a set of points you are doing something wrong. I had a dyno tune business for 12 yrs and guaranteed my tunes for 6 mths or 10,000kms, the points would generally fail by 15,000km due to lack of grease. wheel brg grease works best, it doesn't melt and run off the cam.

T1 Terry

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Terry. Always carry spare points.
    Some time ago had a major problem chewing out points until a mechanic advised I had a wrong coil fitted. Changed the coil and the points lasted a long time.

3. chewtah

chewtah Guest

It's better to change all parts at home rather than on the side of the road!

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

If you change to electronic it pays to have a spare module and/or spare old dizzy with a set of points. You can dodgy points to get you going a lot of the time but a module is hard to test and once it is stuffed you throw it away.

Adrian

5. evan&janine

evan&janine Active Member

A long timebetween posts , however while reading looking for some trick or magic spell, how did all those points get replaced and not strip the small fixing screw. I used newest screwdriver on the 12 mth old dizzy points , it now looks like a doughnut. Muzzafuzza ruzza.
    Perhaps hammer and cold chisel, anyclues.
    Cheers to all.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Correct size and best quality.
    Best chance ;)

7. evan&janine

Thats what i thought i had,
    Cheers

8. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Tightened up too tight last time.

9. evan&janine

Was a new bought dizzy, with first time change of points. Too tight from factory , will be using alt style bolt head for next effort, maybe hex or allen or torx.
    Cheers.

Maxa1967 and Mr Beckstar like this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If a Chinese copy then likely poor quality screw as well.

Mordred likes this.
  11. evan&janine

Wont bring the breadth of nationalty into it, but a poor quality screw, now theres a thought, :)
    may have to pull dizzy for happy ending. Enough of the double entendras, apologies, there is a couple of dark,twisted neural pathways that sometimes get too much oxygen. All tips and comments gratefully received and considered.
    Cheers.

Mr Beckstar likes this.