So you want to buy a Kombi…?

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Just Corey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

With more and more people joining the KombiClub, looking to own a Kombi, I thought I should make a single post where we can direct new members intending to purchase.

First thing. Welcome to the KombiClub.
    The KombiClub is not a true car club per se, It's simply a group or like minded people sharing advice, stories, thoughts and experiences. It's intention is to connect, help and inspire people with anything Kombi related (and a little bit more).

So you want to buy a Kombi…?

Step 1: Introduce yourself.
    We all want to help, but it's much nicer if we know a bit about you. Start contributing to the forum sooner than later (see step 6)

Step2: Help us, help you.
    What type of Kombi are you after?
    What condition are you after (project car to showroom)?
    What are your plans (restore it, tidy it, travel, weekend ride, daily drive)?
    How far are you willing to travel?
    How much do you have to spend?

Step 3: Research
    Most things you need to know are already probably answered on this site, take a good look around. Here are some basics:
    Buying guide & Checklist: http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=1292
    Kombi Prices: http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=20629
    Considering a Restoration: http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=11894
    Buyer Beware: http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=29390

Don't just stop with this list either, keep looking.

Step 4: Ready to buy?
    Stop a second, are you sure you have this printed out: http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=1292

Don't get carried away on eBay.

No matter what make sure you always have a look at, around, in and under a car or have someone you trust / an independent evaluation.

If you look at something and are unsure, take a camera, get a few snaps come back and ask. Someone might be able to eye out problems or put your mind at ease.

Step 5: You own a kombi!!!
    Congratulations, please post a photo and tell us your story. We love pics here.

Step 6: Contribute
    Give something back, Ask questions, share thoughts & experiences, answer things you know about big or small.
    Remember, you don't need to know someone to tell them how impressed you are with their resto, or to relate to their story.
    Without the people and without the words there is no club.

As always, good luck with the hunt.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. vinny

vinny Active Member

.....sticky!

3. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

You beat me to it Harry. :D

Sticky! Nicely written.

4. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

Thanks guys, hopefully it helps a few kombis find a few new owners.

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

And with the click of a mouse it is now STUCK ;)

6. larrenheah

larrenheah New Member

Im Larry from Penang, Malaysia. Im here because Im trying very hard to find a kombi here but most of what ive seen are rust buckets that dont move. I wish we had a bigger following of the kombi here like the beetle.

The beautiful ones are either priceless and not for sale or cost an arm and a leg. Im now tryign very hard to figure the cost of shipping one in from Indonesia or driving in from Thailand if I can get a permit to import classic cars.

Anyone there has gone through the same experience or from around here please share!...

7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

contact on his website. it is thaivwclub.com hes your go-to guy for vws in thailand.

8. larrenheah

larrenheah New Member

Finding a Kombi

Hi Kai,

Good to know there is expertise really near. Soon im planning a roadtrip around the villages to find any hidden gems.

I feel a lot of kombi owners are not willing to share advice or give help unlike beetles that are more common here. its also really hard to spot a kombi on the road compared to the beetle.

thats why im joining this club and hopefully i meet someone here who can show me the way or better still hand down a 1st owner model preferable the safari type splitty.

Here's hoping...

9. MisfitSarah

MisfitSarah New Member

Thanks for this post - it's EXACTLY what I was looking for and the links are perfect.

I am OBSESSED with buying a kombi but have zero experience with them so I am counting on you guys and your expertise to help me make the right choice.

I am in Canberra and happy to travel 500km to view/purchase van. I want a camper to use as my daily ride and for interstate trips and to use to transport stock for markets. Would prefer an early 70s with no work required to engine or exterior paint. Happy to work on the interior myself.

There are a few in Sydney (according to carsales.com.au) but I have no idea what to look for so will print out the Buying Guide and Checklist and take it with me. Any other advice or warnings very gratefully received!

I am so glad I found this forum.

Sarah

10. bexylou

bexylou New Member

Hello I am looking at a 74 kombi van that has done 50klms ! It has a little rust around the engine and under the van! Also needs a new head and fix up on motor! Is this a fair price ? I have no idea

11. Doody

Doody Member

Hi Bexylou,

You didn't mention a price....

Hang on, just saw your post in another thread. $5K

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  12. Mooska

Mooska New Member

Hi, I have just joined this forum as i am looking to get my very first Kombi.... I am very new and don't know much, so am here to learn.

Simply love the idea of my daughter, my dogs and i taking off for weekends and get aways! Am also planning a couple of road trips; one in Dec 2012 and then a bigger trip about May/June 2014 when my daughter turns 16yrs.

Just me, so major restoration is not an option, looking for something ready to drive away in. Look forward to learning lots here...

Miss Rosie likes this.
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to KC Mooska :D This forum is very addictive & full of great tips. Take the time to check out each section, you'll learn heaps. Good luck with your search - your bus will find you one day..... Enjoy the ride :cool: Cheers, Mark

14. Mooska

Mooska New Member

Thanks Mark, there is so much clear and accurate information here, i am so happy to have stumbled across the forum in my googling for Kombi's. I feel like i am on the right track now. Although many kombi's i've found are a far distance from me, but the search goes on...

15. Annieontherun

Annieontherun New Member

Hi all, my husband and I are wanting to look at a kombi next week and are wanting to know if there are anyone on here who know alot about kombi's that are willing to come with us to paddington qld to help us look. we are willing to pay. its a 1977 kombi camper and the guy is selling it for $6990neg. thanks

16. KahunaKombi

Annie, did you find it on a car sales web site and if you did it may be helpful to post a link as some members may know it or of it

17. Annieontherun

Annieontherun New Member

Hi the link for the kombi is
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bris...i-1977-camper-4-sp-manual-2l-carb-/1000239951

We viewed it this arvie and besides rust in the normal places there wasnt anything else wrong with it. The guy is really nice and knows alot about kombi's. It ran well and interior is in fairly good condition. He said that if we buy it that it wont come with a rwc because of the rust but we have until august which is when the rego runs out to get it fixed and then get a rwc to transfer it to our name.

elouise likes this.
  18. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon New Member

Thanks so much Corey, this is a great help to a newbie like me, I'll head to the newbie page and get started.

19. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

Hi all, I am looking at a 1982 Kombi for a friend, totally decked out the same as mine with an amazing annex, my question for you is....my concern is that this is a 4 cylinder AUTO, how do auto's drive, would they do ok on hills?
    It is $15,500 but very negotiable so they say via email.
    Roadworthy to 4th July....Rego to next April....

Copied from advertisement:

T3 Kombi Van 4dr Auto 3sp 2.0

Automatic

Van

4cyl 2.0L

67180km
    1982 Kombi Transporter.jpg 1982 Kombi plus annex.jpg
    Many thanks if you can help, Cheers Kay

20. KahunaKombi

Kay, should be ok - auto a bit slower than manual & it all depends on the buyer so a test drive and inspection. Check on the service history - expect it hs been around the clock once or twice so engine and transmissioin should have had a good going over and engine possible rebuild.

There are more knowledgeable on an 82 than me on here so try Grantus (Grant) he may offer more than I :confused: