So you want to buy a Kombi…?

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Just Corey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

Thanks for that info Kahuna, as long as it will get up hills ok, auto is better for this friend of mine....maybe Grant will spot my post and give me some advise too....I will probably go see it for her as she is in Ballarat and is currently defrosting I think....

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hi Kay I have had lots of Caravelle's and all been auto except my latest one. I have been very happy with their performance and should have no trouble going up hills. You do tend to drive them differently from a manual ie when you see a hill coming up speed up a bit however you do loose more speed by the time you are at the top than in a manual. All mine have been 2.1 water cooled so cant really comment on an air cooled auto.

3. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

Thanks Phil, good to hear your opinion, mine is an air cooled manual and you still do a bit of a run up when your coming on a hill (avoiding Mr Plod hopefully) it's those never ending hills like some near Batemans Bay that can cause very low gears. Cheers Kay

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

the price is up there and its not possible to tell much from the photos and also need a comprehensive mechanical run down.
    would need to be REALLY good in all departments for the dosh.
    Auto will suffer from gaps in gearing on hilly places but driven accordingly and if rebuilt will be trouble free.
    It will need a gearbox rebuild soon if it hasn't already [receipts not ,oh yeah something was done to it ????]as there are lots of little bits that will be getting brittle by now. About 2k for a auto rebuild including rnr.
    the weight of the fitout wont help on hills,
    on the other hand, if its REALY good in ALL respects it will be a comfortable drive as you can attest.
    auto behind a 2litre isn't a problem. just the gap between ratios. Take off and cruise fine if the motor and box are in good nick.

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Kay,

I thought about replying when I saw your post earlier, and although Kahuna Kombi imagines my knowledge to be greater than what it actually is :oops:, I've only ever had time with a 2.1 watercooled auto, and have no personal experience with a 2litre aircooled bus, manual or auto.

Col's comments above (cbus), read true from my understanding, and he has an aircooled T3.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Def worth a look, and take a camera with you. ;)

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

7. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

Many thanks :)

8. Grantus

Trying to think if any KC member has an auto aircooled T3, and I can't recall one........:rolleyes:

Coz they would be worth contacting. ;)

9. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

Thankyou for all this info, $'s seemed a bit high but willing to negotiate, I would check invoices etc (as I have all of mine) hopefully they are available..I would have my mechanic check it out also...the fitout of mine is probably why I have to fight the big hills a bit :(
    Thanks again, Kay

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

have driven a couple of different t2 auto with 2l plus think Ians t3 was auto [2.1]and had a run in it . pretty sure post 76 is same box and motor is very close as well.
    motor running well makes for better performance and changes. sad engine = poor performance from box.
    whether it is manual or auto wouldn't be the decider in my opinion. not enough in it and obviously te auto suits the prospective purchaser.
    value for money on the rest of the rig would be the decider

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  11. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

Thanks, I will be looking it over tomorrow afternoon and I will take pics.

12. Grantus

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  13. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

15. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

I didn't go checkout the T3, my friend had lack of interest and $'s...Very useful info Grant, I utilised it and worked on checking my lil bus, found a couple of issues and they are now fixed :) Thanks, Kay

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

something quite good may come up at around the 12k mark. But if lack of commitment or $ for the inevitable minor hiccups its not a smart move

17. Grantus

Good stuff - well done! :)

18. Lilhippo

Lilhippo New Member

Thanks for the realy helpful info on this thread, I've been a kombi nut since my early teens, collected everything kombi. But finally putting the dream of a life into action and getting one for myself.. I don't have any experience with kombi's apart from LOVE, I'm wanting something very reliable as a daily driver. I'd rather spend a bit more up front and just enjoy than years of restoring. Is this achievable with a budget around $20-25000?
    How much future money will I have to put into it each year. I'm following my dream instead of buying a house... But I don't want to make any big mistakes.. Any help and guidence would be fantastic!!

Cheers

Ames

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As an overview.

Be very carefull jumping in the deep end. It is a disaster for many.
    love is a dangerous and blinding thing :)
    look at heaps and do your homework to familiarise with the pitfalls and what represents a sound buy.
    Normal warning about fresh paint and dodgy repairers.
    ATTEND some vw meets and get to know some owners who can help you with advice and hopefuly an educated set of eyes for preliminary viewings. many may offer, some will be knowledgeable. learn the difference.
    ALLWAYS . if in doubt , walk away.[thats from a purchase] :)
    [better to delay a dream than live a nightmare]
    Find a suitably qualified vw air cooled mechanic who will do your pre purchase check if you find a local kombi.

Most on the market at the moment is rubbish.
    Overpriced and will need considerable maintainence/repair.
    Much of the 18-25 offerings are not worth much more than 12-16k on my scale .
    People see kombis selling for 30k and immediately think their pile of deteriorating crud is worth the same but are in fairy land and don't add up all the cost of getting the bus to a 30k quality.[usualy up to 3x what you would pay for a bus already in the better condition] or are oblivious /plainly dishonest.
    Some may be fairly testing the market, expect a drop in price.
    I have been looking at photos for a few people for 6 months and it usualy takes at least that long to find a suitable vehicle. Sometimes a couple of yrs so be patient.
    Good buys are rare [sh#t, Ive used THAT word:oops:]

Your decision to pay the extra for something ready and sound is in it self a sound decision both from a end cost viewpoint and enjoying instant gratification.

20 -25 should still get a non blinged sound bus. but it will likely take a while
    Expect to save 2+k on hand for the immediate sorting process on mechanicals and basic body . At the 25k mark expect less /no repair is needed but always need a tune and inspection at the very least to know what you have.[ this may have been covered in a good pre inspection ]

Tuning and regular maintenance isn't dear if you have a genuine mechanic or learn to do servicing yourself[recommended]
    Repairs to bring years of neglect up to a sound state is a different matter and costs whatever it costs. [lots]
    Fuel economy isn't great [expect around 12l/100 HWY @ 90km/hr

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015