1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar Charging for Second Battery

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Kombi Dad, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

bazzamagoo likes this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Many thanks Ian, lots of folks will benefit from the info. here.
    Definitely Sticky material.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

Looking at doing this eventually. Been looking at the flexible panels if I go for a roof mount (less visible) or the foldable/portables. Will give this a read.

Thanks Ian

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I think it's an easy choice....... roof mounted and park your bus in full sun, or park the bus in the shade, and place the portable panels out in the sun...o_O

Just a thought on what I'd do if I was going this path...........:rolleyes:

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Agree with Grant. My experience with flat mount is that they are not as efficient as ones angled to the sun. I experimented with my panels and took readings. Flat mount they gave about 50% output as compared angled to the sun. If roof mounted you could double the capacity and get the same result. I opted to park in the shade. If I go away from the camp site and the panels are out I chain them to the trailer that I tow. It stops them being too portable. Note later panels seem to work much better when flat mounted than the ones I use which are about 8 years old.

Ian

Maxa1967 likes this.