1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help on Melb type 3

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Ray, May 27, 2010.

1. Ray

Ray Member

I live on the Gold Coast and I'm looking at a couple of type 3 squarebacks in Melbourne. (I know it's not a Kombi, but it's going to share a garage with one).
    One of the cars is in Melton and the other in Resevior. Does anyone know of a vw mechanic in these areas that I could send out to check these out and give an honest opinion.

appreciate any advise.

Ray

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showpost.php?p=318970&postcount=30

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I don't know whether Wolfgang at Volkscourt or his son/staff would be interested to to a house call in that way, but they know their stuff and have always been reported as being highly honest and of integrity. Many melbourne members use him for Kombi stuff. He's near Reservoir in thomastown.

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/volkscourt/thomastown

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Why don't you post the ads and get some opinions?
    Might know the car as there are a couple around at the moment which have generated some interest.

4. Ray

Ray Member

wasting time and money

I flew to Melbourne from the Gold Coast to have a look at a couple of Squarebacks I've seen on ebay. Both cars looked great in the photos'. One of the cars was at the mechanics getting a road worthworthy so I thought I'd call the guy for an unbiest opinion. He told me the car was like a band new one and he couldn't fault it. Said the paint was excellent and the motor was great. Blah Blah Blah!

Well must of been the owners brother or cousin. The paint work was Radar Red (original colour) but has had a respray, talk about orange peel finish, this was a bush lemon fininsh. The motor was covered in oil and really required an overhaul and rebuild. The mechanic told me that the roof lining was "beautiful mate". He must of liked the look of a dozen holes in the lining. Guy was asking $6000+ for an ok original '73 square that was ruined by a nasty paint job.

The second car I looked at didn't look took bad and the guy had reconditioned the motor. Interior hadn't been done but things were looking good, until I drove it. Drove like it had 4 square wheels, something seriuosly wrong with the engine rebuild.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm wasting alot of time and expense looking at over priced type 3's in poor condition and some how the owners think there worth a small fortune.

Help me !! I'm willing to pay good money for a good car.

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not good Ray and know only to well what hides behind pics :wtf:

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Ray

Ray Member

Yeah Bert, I was talking to this guy and thought about flying up to Proserpine to have a look. Turns out he moved it Brisbane to sell. I checked it out a couple of months ago. As I said earilier "they all look great in the photos". Sadly this one was also very disappointing. Not worth anywhere near the asking price. Glad I didn't waste my time and money travelling up to Nth Qld.