1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions about my front beam. 66split with bay beam.

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by 68BUS, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Would the bump stop have been taken off because in this set up the bus is sitting too low compared to a stock 1968 bus?

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

CC894577-6B6B-4010-A673-672222146180.jpeg To me it looks about one inch lower than stock ( yes that’s why bump stops are removed) it’s also on 14’s not 15’s

Photo of stock height bus not Brad’s

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yes, That is most likely what they are. Standard bay with the round 20mm-ish holes around the perimeter.

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Bus was lower before I got it. I had the front raised back up. So it might be a touch lower then stock then is the IRS sags at the rear.

Can IRS be raised as well? I doubt the bus will look wrong if I lift the front a bit. But good to know if required.
    I think a small raise in the front and changing the tyres to a smaller diameter will make a good difference.
    And I will see if I can track down some bump stops that can be welded back into the beams. Will do some research to see what I can find.

I am going to replace the shocks anyway, if I am not paying for mechanics labour then it will be fairly cheap. Will do the steering damper and tie rod ends as well.
    Give everything a clean and regrease while I am at it.

And after I upgrade to the electric ignition and install the oil cooler bypass, I might then send it to the mechanics to check over all my work and do the ball joints.

Then apart from the steering box which has a bit too much play in it, that should all make a good difference in the feel of the drive.

Thanks folks, I am sure more questions will come up along the way too.

oldman likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Are there any issues of play in the tie rod ends or centre pin in beam that require new ones or just the damaged rubber boots?

Reinstating bump stops a good idea I recon a size down on tyres should be close to sorting the issue without changing height.
    Especially if no probs earlier.
    Any idea previous tyre size?
    If photo Mike put up is your van then tyres looked low profile??
    Current size is 663mm OD vs 650 for 185/R 14 stock bay.
    195/75.14 is 648. 205/70.14 is 643.
    Assume beetle box so higher gearing than split.

Changing rear can be done in small increments if necessary and no big deal.

Ian found 205 better than 185 on his bus with similar setup to yours re suspension.
    But his beam is narrowed to suit.
    And he is lower :)

6. splitbus

Not Brad’s bus, and not low profile, whitewalls

cbus likes this.
  7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Not sure what previous tyre size was. But only remember it scrubbing once or twice in dips of the road. But it is a constant issue now. So will go smaller amd hopefully skinnier.
    Shame as the current tyres and still near new.

And regards play in current setup. It is pretty good. The steering box has a few mm at the wheel. But the steering is firm and smooth. So really it would just be fixing thing now before they become an issue.

8. splitbus

060D0A1C-AAC5-4333-AAE2-FDA6BF9B9421.jpeg Maybe just a screw adjustment on the steering box, undo the lock nut and turn screw clockwise, 2mm and see if that makes a difference, tighten locknut back up

68BUS likes this.
  9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I will have a look at that. A lot of oil and crud on it, so will give it a good clean too.

10. splitbus

1F562281-5AEF-4FAA-9108-D2CC9D416747.jpeg Might need a new seal as well, seal size 25x36x7

68BUS likes this.
  11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks mate.

12. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Hey Brad, have a chat to Barry Thompson from Split Decision Restorations. Barry is ex Das Resto and shares premises with Brad Conran who did the metal and body work on your bus. Barry will know what rims/tyres you need to avoid the rubbing. He put a 68 beam with adjusters under my bus a few years ago running narrow 5. If you need his number send me a pm. BTW still have the blazecut in my bus you imported ahead of the times

David H likes this.
  13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Good thought mate. Yeah I have Barry's contact too. He did some of the work on my bus when he was quite to give Brad a hand.
    And glad we both still have the blazecuts un-used. Least they can be bought freely now. That was a pain bringing them in from the US.

14. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Mike, You are going to love my ignorance. But I still cannot get my head around jacking the bus up under the beam if I want to adjust the beam height.
    I found this video that seems to confirm my thoughts. I am hoping to give this a crack on the weekend.

To me it looks like having the bus chassis on the jack stands is the way to go. Then support the beam with the trolley jack. Measure the distance from the wheel arch to the centre of the hub. Undo the beam adjuster splines and lower the trolley jack and beam as many splines as it takes to achieve 1 inch greater from the wheel arch to the centre of the hubs.

If I jack off the beam only, as soon as I undo the adjuster splines the whole bus is going to drop into its lowest possible setting which will be pretty dangerous when it happen, but also will require me to then jack the bus up and away from the beam using the trolley jack under the chassis instead.

What am I missing?

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Actually, Just thinking, do you mean ditch the jack stand all together and only use the trolley jack under the wheel. And try to keep the wheels on the ground for the lift?
    I did not think of that because I cannot fit under the bus without it lifted.
    If that is the case I might be able to loosen the top splines first, then lower the bus to the ground. Shift the trolley jack to the beam and reach under and loosen the bottom one.
    I just hate being under the bus in any form without it on jack stands. My trolley jack is a cheap supercheap one and i don't totally trust it. Especially if I am under it loosening the one thing keeping any clearance from the ground. But maybe able to do so with a breaker bar and long socket extensions.

16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Bit of further research and came across this thread which cleared a few things up.
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Mike - Your method combines with wheel stands like the video would allow me the security of being able to work under the bus, whilst having the suspension partially preloaded to give better indication of height of actual raise.

And he big one, I assume that I should make sure that the centre retaining pin does not move at all, only the two locking nuts on the adjusters in order to keep the torsion leaves in place and just rotate the beam around them. Based on the picture below.
    Centre Retainging Screw.jpg

17. splitbus

Measure how much you want to go up, say 20mm, jack bus up until tyres are 50mm off ground and put jack stands under beam, put 25mm timber under tyres on floor, climb under bus and undo adjusters until teeth aren’t engaged, wheels may drop but I bet they don’t, if they don’t jump up and down on top of tyres each side until tyres are resting on 25mm timber, climb under again and do adjusters back up tight, jack back up and take stands out, jack down, job done, should now be 20mm higher

Reason I say put stands under beam is it’s the safest way, seeing as you will need to jump up and down on the wheels

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    David H and 68BUS like this.
  18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike.
    I would rather ask three times then kill myself. Going to try on the weekend.

David H, Wayne murray and Grantus like this.
  19. splitbus

You me both