1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Saver Wheel for 76 Bay

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Jako, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Jako

Jako New Member

Hello everyone! I was just wondering about something! Like all of us, saving as much space and weight in our Kombi’s is important. So has anyone used a space saver wheel as a spare? If so what other vehicle configuration would work on my van please? Any advice always appreciated. Thank you Jako

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Expect you have 5x112 rims :rolleyes: some people throw ford territory rims on but have to drill out the stud holes and maybe even the centre bore to get them to fit over the bearing nuts ...... personally not a good move.
    As you're talking space saver ...... don't know of any with a 5x112 stud pattern ...... space saver usually limited to 80 kph and not for prolonged period - use to get you to the nearest tyre repair place as soon as possible.

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Depends if you are just an urban cruiser or looking at travelling. Would not head off without a real spare.

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I have a vw golf space saver that is 5x112 pcd.

Grantus likes this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Rolling dia is the other parameter.

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If you carry a space saver spare.......... where do you put the flat real tyre to take to the repairer? o_O

Probably why so many increase the interior space, and just mount the spare on the front of a bullbar...;)

syncro, oldman and cbus like this.
  7. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

This is probably of no use but for history's sake Westfalia had "space saver" spares back in the 70's for their campers. Basically a deflated tyre on a normal rim with an inflation kit.

My Audi A3 Quattro has a space saver spare. It saves so much space I can't even find it.

David H likes this.
  8. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Tiguan also 5x112, but have a larger rolling diameter than stock T2

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Personally I dont bother.
    Saving 10kg not much relevance unless you are putting the kombi on a diet.
    I don't find the spare sitting in the normal bay position intrusive.

Depends on specific reasons/ needs.
    10kg = approx 11litre of fuel in tank.
    Deep cycle battery about 20kg.
    Careful choice of rims and tyres gains x4.

All that is unmeasurable in fuel savings.
    Lowering or belly pans, eco tyres would give more.

Carb rebuild and ensuring everything working correctly on a good engine gives biggest fuel economy improvements on most kombis if that's the grail.

If you decide to follow it up then careful choice of " full size" ie road useable with caution if it doesn't match other wheels, may save some kg and width .
    A combination of larger dia forged Alloy rim with narrow width and corresponding narrow / low profile passenger tyre ( suitably load rated) would give gains but may have legal issues from being a mismatch to other combinations on same axle.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    David H likes this.
  10. Grantus

Maybe I misunderstood the original post.....

I thought it was to gain more internal space for storage, cupboards, etc, when used as a camper, but I could be wrong.

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Jako,
    I'll 'wade in' here. Seems you have a camper from your avatar. Can't see the front whether you have a 'roo bar' but if it's a camper the spare wheel was moved outside when it was converted. Front or back outside with the wheel.........it left the inside:p to make space inside:D.
    The moment it left the inside it's width measurements ceased to be of concern. Rolling diameter & tyre size important but width is not worried by outside fitment;).
    Keep it on the outside & stock size:cool:.
    It's a Kombi. If you want to save 10 kg don't carry beer;)! Aw! They're not tin foil buses:D like some new cars.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

He has included space and weight.
    Priority of each I'm not sure but loked mainly at weight and usualy that's related to desire for economy or power and I think there are more productive ways of achieving that equation.

Space depends if its a problem in the factory position.
    Could be if two sleeping on a 3/4 bed. That brings up options of front or rear bars.
    Roof at a push but string dislike of tii much weight high up.
    Gets down to personal preferences at that point.

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Would never carry beer.
    Prefer something that tastes better ;)
    And is more concentrated.

David H likes this.
  14. Grantus

But even with space saved, and more room inside, surely that added space would just be filled with something as heavy, or even heavier than the spare wheel? :rolleyes:

It wasn’t till the 3rd generation Kombi T3, that they solved the internal space problem, and just mounted the full size spare tyre, in a clamshell holder under the front of the vehicle. ;)

You can tell from my comments, that I’m just a bus and truck driver, (Caravelle & Single Cab), and never been a camper owner.

Oh, & cold beer is always good, no matter how heavy! ;)

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Which is my point.
    If looking at weight in a camper ,my view would be that a space saver is a bad tradeoff.
    There is a lot if weighty crap in a camper. The original chipboard cupboards being a starter.
    Probably ply floor and rnr bed.
    All these can be replaced with modern lightweight ply.
    Don't run locally with water in water tank.

Saving 10 kg on a spacesaver is outweighed by the advantage of having a fully functional spare.

Depends on desired use.

If serious about off main rd camping then I like the concept of swing out rear bar.
    ( not beer carrier)

David H likes this.
  16. David H

No need for a 'space saver' Jako;):). Keep the full size outside.
    Maybe need a front or rear bar:p for the tyre. Front or rear carrier;).

Cheers

17. David H

Always empty tanks when I get home. Divorcee doesn't like to carry load further than necessary:D.
    My bus 'heavy' with 100kg water 'down low' when going camping. Must say it hangs onto the road but is heavy on steering:D. That be a grip thing. My bus never going to leave the road loaded with water:cool:. 100 kg just a traction & balance device;) & lots of GRIP. Down low:)!!

Cheers

18. Jako

Jako New Member

Hey All.

Cheers for the advice!

Space is the main issue as have full sized RnR bed. Weight not so much an issue as have pulled everything apart and redesigned using IKEA Hacks and aluminium! Think I may purchase a front bar and mount a full sized on that!

Happy travels!

Jako

David H likes this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Front bar option has the advantage of bit more weight on nose drops it a bit and improves highway driving.
    Good for drying towels or just sitting on at the beach. :)

Reduces clearance under bumper but useful for riding over humps. Which is why most are worn at that point.
    If it doesn't have the tabs to bolt lower uprights thru bumper its worth adding them to make it all more stable.

20. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Here you go. A factory T2 space saver...

tyre.jpg