1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam - Spamming

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Roy, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Spam will not be tolerated on this site.
    While we have measures in place to prevent most spam, some will get through the net.

Rest assured that all SPAM will be removed and the sign on name will be banned, continuous abuse will be reported.

SPAM WILL BE REMOVED !!!!

2. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

New members now need to be verified before they can post

Some Spam will inevitably get through the net, but all in all I think the new system is working well

Thanks to the mods and fellow administrator for the work behind the scenes and those members who have been on Spam watch

Hopefully we can keep the rotten scoundrels away :)

3. Archeress

Archeress Guest

i cant recall any spam getting thru roy..It must be working..

(unless you count jon wards posts as spam)

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

They are not getting past me Kelly. I get between 5 and 10 spammers trying to join each day.

5. Archeress

Archeress Guest

your on the ball melissa...lets hope they dont find an alternative way thru...

6. warb

warb Member

7. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Roy, whats this warning mean? I have only noticed it today and it only appears on this site and only after logging on and selecting forum. The warning is posted as a single line above the v bulletin header bar. The warning line appears on both Mac and Windows - I run Chrome and current generation firewall, spyware and stuff. The scary stuff follows:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6845

8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Roy, whats this warning mean? I have only noticed it today and it only appears on this site and only after logging on and selecting forum. The warning is posted as a single line above the v bulletin header bar. The warning line appears on both Mac and Windows - I run Chrome and current generation firewall, spyware and stuff. The scary stuff follows:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6845

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Probably means that SPAM will not be tolerated and will be removed..

10. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Its very hard to post with all that writing coming in and freezes. Have to go out and come back and the post seems to get there thou.

11. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Its very hard to post with all that writing coming in and freezes. Have to go out and come back and the post seems to get there thou.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [path]/includes/class_core.php:5698) in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 4370

12. mike malli

mike malli Member

Thanks for the hard work :) . Although it is not mentioned very often it is noticed an appreciated.

Mike

13. Titch

Titch Active Member

Gidday, Did have same problem as Brian and Cathy and also Rob, for 24 hours or so but things are working well this morning. Many thanks to the powers that be. I ain't got a clue. Vince

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

The issue with those sick bird (Ill egal) Warnings was an issue with the forum hosts - issue noticed by Mod's and advised to Roy who had it attended to.

Had nothing to do with Spam.

15. Alpal

Thought spam was Monty Python stuff

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

spam= something posing as meat

17. Alpal

spam

proprietary name registered by Geo. A. Hormel & Co. in U.S., 1937; probably a conflation of spiced ham. Soon extended to other kinds of canned meat. In the sense of "Internet junk mail" it was coined by Usenet users after March 31, 1993, when Usenet administrator Richard Depew inadvertently posted the
    same message 200 times to a discussion group. The term had been used in online text games, and it was from the comedy routine in British TV show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" where a restaurant's menu items all devolve into spam.