Speedo stopped working

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Sleeper, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Looking for some help!!!
    I have a 72 bus and the speedo is not working. I have done the basic checks. The drive shaft is turning in the cable and when I disconnect the cable I can turn the back of the speedo and it will move the needle and the odometer. When I couple the cable to the back of the speedo there is a clicking noise and the speedo does not move .

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Have a look at your front left wheel, the cable comes out of the bearing cover behind hubcap, sometimes the peg hole gets turned into a round hole, cable doesn't turn

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Also the cable retaining circlip is sometomes missing or has had a bit of wire wrapped around it which is a bandaid fix & a bad one @ that :cool:

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

So if you spin the front left the cable turns?

Has it ever worked?

If it turns when your wheel turns and you can "turn the back of the speedo and it will move the needle "
    Then somehow it is the "engagement"

If it use to work - then I would be guessing that the female connection of the speedo has split or opened up

Maybe you can somehow "pack" the male end before you connect?

Can you borrow a working example?

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Some times it can just be that the cable is not 'bedded' well enough into the speedo housing. Give the cable a pull & flick (whilst still connected to speedo) & see if you can tighten the attachment nut further.

Also have a couple of silver faced speedos for sale if you need one.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

The speedo was working. I had just got it back from the resto and it was the first drive . We dove about 10km and I heard an irritating clicking noise and looked down and the speedo had stopped. There does not appear to be a retaining circling at th ale end in the cab. I will pop of the instrument panel and see if it is the female end has split

I will let you know how I go once I have pulled the instrument panel out. I might knock on your door David . The speedo I have is odd as it has a Km stuck over the face of the mph

Thanks for the response everyone

7. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Check other end of cable before you pull your dash apart

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mmm..............i reckon the cable is not bedded in properly into the speedo.

Check the grease cap is seated properly on the wheel
    Also check that the grease cap hole has not rounded out and allowed the cable to poke through

Bith of these would effectively shorten the cable and stop it bedding into the speedo

9. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

How far should the cable extend. It is below the metal crimping. I got it to work for a brief moment but then it stopped again. I will from the easy to the difficult.. Fist the wheel and hen to the dash.

10. David H

The click is a departing cable:(. New cable do it for you;). Or if not it gives information:p.

Cheers

11. grumble

grumble Active Member

Is the round nut fitted to the speedo end, if so pull the grease cap off and see if a short section of the cable pulls out. If this happens replace the cable.

David H likes this.
  12. David H

Agree with Grumble.
    Bit of 'blue tack' on finger into cable mounting hole will help if cable is broken on the speedo end. Bit rarer for 'lazy end' of speedo shaft to break... but eh... I didn't make the steel cable:rolleyes:. Normally 'drive end' as that's where the most energy (torque) is.
    Cheers

13. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Thanks all. It was the lazy end that had brocken off . Finally got off my backside and replaced the cable. Not that a bus is a speed demond but it helps Normally I gauge but the train behind me Now I will pull over befor the train gets too long. Happy days

14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Km stuck over mph means that you have an original speedo.......keep it!
    Each to their own but early buses with stock instruments are getting harder to find.....
    Cheers,
    Mark