Speedometer Assembly

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by mehimthatguy, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mehimthatguy

mehimthatguy Member

Hi Folks,
    The pin that runs through the kilometre counter numbers on my speedo assembly semi regularly drops out of it's position on the right side, (the left side being the little plastic cogs that turn), and obviously once it's dropped out of its resting hole, that end of the numbers fall away slightly from the face plate, of course resulting in the speedo not cranking the numbers round. A few times I've had to take it apart and just guide it back to it's little resting hole pushing the cog end to the right.
    Has anyone done a creative fix for this or should I be ordering a replacement assembly from GoWesty? Or does anyone have a good spare?
    Also,
    Is GoWesty the only place to get the printed circuit board replacement kit? And does the whiz bang circuit board solve the buzzer of doom problem? I followed a video to disengage the buzzer by bending the offending pin on the L shaped circuit board out of the way (which could be re-bent back) and currently enjoy a buzzer free life, but am yet to install an independent oil pressure gauge, unless the new circuit board solves the problem.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

There is no design problem. Just fix it properly or earth the wire that goes to the sender. You can't just disconnect things as it could make it worse.

mehimthatguy likes this.
  4. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

There are files available at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2104416 to make up a 3D printed bracket which you can use to get one made up at an online 3D printing place like https://www.3dhubs.com for about $20. This works for the odometer on 86+ speedos and is a low risk solution because you just screw it on and don't have to muck around with the shaft etc. This didn't fit my 85 so I fixed it by removing the shaft and roughing up the end where it goes under the gear as described on The Samba. I did this and it fixed it but I struggled to get the shaft back on because I roughed up the shaft too much and probably went close to breaking something so be careful if you do this.

I fitted the Gowesty printed circuit kit and it is pretty good but it is expensive and the wiring connector provided is not that great because it moves a little, so you are better cutting and splicing the wiring (the instructions include details of how to do this). There is also a cheaper alternative made in South Africa which is supposed to be good as well - do a Google search for VW T3 Vanagon Instrument Cluster Repair Kit.

mehimthatguy, robbie0810 and Grantus like this.
  5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Do you still have the one that didn’t fit? :rolleyes:

6. mehimthatguy

mehimthatguy Member

Thanks all. :)

7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

No because I bought it :)

Grantus likes this.
  8. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Have been told that you cant reset the trip meter on the go as it pops the shaft out as mine did but not sure if its just more kombi wispering

mehimthatguy likes this.
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Now why does that not surprise me? .....:rolleyes:

Only the quick, and the dead around here.......:p

10. JasonB

JasonB New Member

Hi Mark the reason the shaft slips through the odometer wheels is the die cast wheel at the end of the plastic numbered wheels is worn, I can repair this for you, I can also get the plastic geared cog which sometimes crack. PM if you are interested I am based in Sydney.

mehimthatguy and nils like this.
  11. mehimthatguy

mehimthatguy Member

PM sent Jason.

12. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

mehimthatguy and Grantus like this.
  13. Beau

Beau Member

Talking about speedo...does anyone have a source, where to buy spedometer cable for syncro?

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Mick Motors.

15. Beau

Beau Member

Thanks mate. Unfortunately out of stock. Will probably order from brickwerks.

Cheers