Split Identification

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Split 1, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Ted2

Ted2 Member

Chassis number dates as June 1961 with PU indicating it is a pickup (single cab).

2. 63BUS

63BUS New Member

Thanks Ted2, i always thought 1961 had the 2 circle tail lights but my sc has the oval ones, why is that

3. Ted2

Ted2 Member

I'll be in front of a computer tomorrow instead of this awkward phone and will post a reply. Cheers John

4. Ted2

Ted2 Member

Oval tail lights were introduced in August 1961 so it's fair to assume a 1961 model would have the twin tail lights as you stated 63BUS. Possible explanations why your bus has oval tail lights include:
    1. Accident damage. On my June 1961 DC (a couple of hundred units less than your chassis number) the twin tail lights were swapped out for oval lights after a rear end accident.
    2. Dealer modified. There's a VW technical bulletin dated August 1961 which details the installation of oval tail lights in place of the previous type. I think it's a fair assumption that dealers modified twin tail light buses to oval tail lights for customers & for buses that were sitting in their showrooms that were for sale.
    3. Factory modified. This is where things get a bit murky 63BUS. Whilst your chassis dates as June 1961 your bus would probably have been sold a few months later (Check the date on your fuel gauge & post it up). Add a few months to June 1961 and you are in the new 1962 model year. The public who were buying a new bus in the last Quarter of 1961 would have wanted the latest model with all the new "improvements". Again it's reasonable (IMHO) to assume that the VW factory would have fitted oval tail lights to adapt 1961 chassis number buses to the new 1962 model.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    63BUS likes this.
  5. jimbi

jimbi Member

Hi, could someone decipher the following stampings on my twin tail light ute please. PU1909 and 757950
    thanks in advance

6. rusted

rusted New Member

I have an odd one here if anyone could help it would be appreciated
    No chassis number stamped anywhere I can find?
    ID plate number is 2053 002 225
    A second plate states assembled in South Africa origin Brazil
    It's a 15 window oval rear lights
    Cheers

7. Ted2

Ted2 Member

Chassis no. dates as April 1961.
    PU = Pickup (Single Cab)
    1909 = Sequential build no. for pickup
    Has your ute got semaphores?

8. jimbi

jimbi Member

Thanks Ted, has bullet indicators, was told it was 61, good to know month too. thanks again.

9. Ted2

Ted2 Member

This one seems to have the collective stumped. Throw some pics up and see whether that sheds any light.

10. mwizz

mwizz Member

P1040648.JPG

I've recently purchased a 1969 Split 15 window deluxe built in Brazil I believe

Chassis no. is B9-164703

11. mwizz

mwizz Member

Hi Ted, do you have any info about my 69 split above?

12. Ted2

Ted2 Member

Hey Mate. I have no info on Brazilian splits. Sorry.

13. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

14. mwizz

mwizz Member

15. brisbane6

brisbane6 New Member

There is great info here...appreciate you taking the time!....would you be able to assist me please with any history/dates on my split bus - according to Made in Western Germany plate on RHS of engine bay, it is typ 21 Fahrgestell-Nr 503466. There is also a number stamped into the metalwork on the LHS of engine bay, which is DD1497. It is a RHD panel van with cargo doors on both sides of the bus. Small (and low I think) tail lights, no centre brake light, semaphores, small rear window. There is a bump pressed in the top of the bootlid, it's not "flat"; bumpers are plain not ribbed. I couldn't see any reference in this thread to the "DD", I am thinking though it is perhaps Australian-assembled around 1959? Many thanks!

16. splitbus

August 1959

DD stands for double door

17. Lenzy

Lenzy Member

What about 227040125
    Under it is MB 2167

18. Lenzy

Lenzy Member

And what happens if there's no other plates on a 67 splitti other than that number I just provided can it still be registered

19. splitbus

MB is microbus

So no plate, behind front seat, on overhead air vent, under dash, right hand side of engine, is there any holes in those areas, 2 small holes about 60 to 80 mm’s apart