1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSP Fooks - Aluminium Wheels Ok?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by applez, Feb 25, 2017.

1. applez

applez Member

On the precedence there are no stupid questions I noticed SSP Fooks come in both an aluminium and (something else) wheel with TUV approval. The aluminium is cheaper.

What alloy is the more expensive one made from? Empi Fuchs are probably made of the same thing. In fact if not stated as aluminium what are the after market wheels like flat 4, SSP etc, made from?

Are aluminium wheels good for a bus and it's loading. Are there any issues with the cheaper aluminium?

Cheers;)

2. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

People are obsessed with tyre load ratings but ignore wheel load ratings. Most genuine wheels will have a weight rating stamped on the inner rim. Aftermarket wheels generally don't.
    TUV approval is the most stringent German approval of many automotive products in Europe. The best "seal of approval" you can get.
    Cheap alluminium alloys have a tendency to crack and fail. Best to pay extra for something that's tried and tested.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

There are grades in alumium.
    And big variations in casting quality.
    As Chris said. Go for the ones tested and giving load rating.
    Beware of ebay crap imported privately and flipped, from china.

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Empi Fuchs - Made in China or Taiwan ????? these days
    I looked at the SSP Fooks 17x7 polished rims at one stage and was very tempted.

5. applez

applez Member

So it sounds like aluminium wheels aren't worth the saving. Fair enough.

Are 17 inch rims I.e. The fuches legal in regards to width.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

They are ALL aluminium unless magnesium alloy racing wheels which are probably pretty rare.

7. applez

applez Member

I thought so but wasn't 100% because alloy can be different mixes of metal and elements. Cheers CBus.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

True. Many metals are alloyed.
    But in reference to wheels the term is also used as a generic term for aluminium alloy same as they are called mags, refering to original magnesium alloy wheels.
    As Chris mentioned, stick with known name brands and check weight ratings.
    Lots of dodgy brands from china that imitate the known brands but change a letter.
    Cases of a number of failures with some and probably higher proportion of machining tolerances not good either.

The 17x7 is ok in offsets from 25 to possibly around 35.?

Off top of head. Plus 2" fittings ( 2" upgrade in rim size) does not require notification of modification.
    Think this may be even greater now??
    30% bigger on widest stock option width is allowed without notification of mod.
    This relates to transport rules.
    Insurance may require all mods noted.
    Many run 17 and 18 without any issues.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Ve...cle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications

The vw heritage ad is not helpful.
    I expect they have just used either term loosely.
    Seems no indication of differences in finish.
    I would suggest contacting them to clarify re difference in pricing.

9. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

I would say the SSP and empi Fuchs come out of the same factory. They look identical from what I've seen, and as far as empi products go they are quite nice....and easily balanced.

As for the cracking and longevity, time will tell . I have the empi 17x7 +40 on my T3. they could easily be +30, but 40 is nice and safe