1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stainless Steel Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by OSF, Sep 19, 2017.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I've want to get some quality Stainless Steel hubcaps though they seem a bit hard to get for late bays at the moment. I've managed to find some at a reasonable price though they are 304 grade. I was kinda hoping I could find some that are 316 grade but haven't had any luck.

Are these made in 316 grade at all and if so where can you get them (flat ones for late bay) or is 304 grade it?

2. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Why do you want 316 for a hub cap? 316 would be very difficult (impossible?) to press and get a good result.
    Richard

3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I just prefer the added protection 316 gives over 304 when it comes to corrosion from the chlorides in salt spray. The vehicle will be spending a fair bit of time at the beach (sea spray also travels several km from the beach and we don't live all that far away), so I'm just looking to maximise corrosion resistance as much as possible in every way I can. Nothing a good washing/cleaning/polishing regime won't keep under control, but I just prefer to over-engineer and use marine grade stainless if I can get it. Unless of course other it's for other purposes (exhaust etc) where different grades are better.

P.S. Having said the above, I just ordered some in 304 as I haven't been able to find any in 316. So 304 it is.

4. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

at the beach in the long term, rusty hubcaps will be the least of your worries.....

Wayne murray, Syncro27, OSF and 2 others like this.
  5. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Hi OSF
    That OCD is surfacing again!
    Where'd you get the 304's from?
    I love Stevie VWs comment.

6. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

ebay
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vw-Late-...tainless-steel-T2-Type2-Type-25-/332383364601

No good having a Kombi if you can't take it to the beach. And if your going to take it to the beach, you might as well aim for the best rust/corrosion protection you can achieve on every single square cm of the thing (no point neglecting the hubcaps).

StevieVW likes this.
  7. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Sea spray at Sutherland - lol

8. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

A hubcap only exposed to the air, or even splash of salt water you would not see any long term differences 304 to 316. All balustrading on the beach will all be 304 or similar grades.
    I would have been surprised if it was even possible to press in 316.

If you were to be very pedantic you could get them passivated (similar to pickling), but that could affect the polished finish and doubt you would see a difference in 10 years time.

Galvanic corrosion would be a bigger concern than salt spray. Keep them washed and you will have no issues with 304SS.

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

These are coming from the UK - their roads are full of salt to get rid of snow and it rains a lot there too - so I am sure they would have been well tested by previous customers.