1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

standard rims different centres ?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Micko22, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Micko22

Micko22 Member

the standard rims i picked up on the weekend to get blasted and powdercoated have different centre holes, three have a flower type shape i guess and one is perfectly round, they are all meant to be the 5x112 stud pattern.....any ideas ?

2. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

The perfectly round one could be a syncro wheel however it would then be 6" wide not 5.5"

3. Micko22

Micko22 Member

thanks wirrah, that actually makes sense as it has a bigger tyre on it, might pay to leave that one off the bus and find another.

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I thought the T3's had the round centre bore hole and the T2's had the star pattern?

5. Micko22

Micko22 Member

well i have three star pattern and one circle ? not on the bus, just spares......

6. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Standard wheels (5.5x14) didn't change from '71 to the end of European T3 production. All my Caravelles had/have the star pattern. The set of syncro wheels I have are all circlular centered (6x14)

Not sure of the technical reasons.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Were the pre 71 Bays round holers? Also have one round hole in my collection.

8. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Can't help with that except to say pre '71 were an entirely different type of rim...

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Come on youse T3ers. Have youse got round holes????

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Only on syncros. (6x14)

11. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Done some research and have come up with images of early bay 5x112s with round centres.

Check the wheel width. If it's 5.5" it's probably ok. If it's 6" then it's off a syncro.

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've seen some of those.

I wonder if they were Aussie?

13. Big Dave 69

Big Dave 69 Member

My 71 (delivered april 71) Deluxe has all 5 genuine wheels with round holes & are stamped with 5 1/2X14 and what looks to be a manufacture date. 1 with 10/70, 3 with 12/70, & 1 with 1/71, oh yeah, they are all stamped with VW as well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  14. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I had one or two in my collection but they took the same size tire and were used just the same as the others, and tire fitting places never said anything about it. I think one I had with circular center hole may have had an Audi stamp on it instead of the regular VW one?

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Is there anything else marked on it? Brand etc.

I'm guessing that they are Australian and made by ROH.

16. Big Dave 69

Big Dave 69 Member

Yep they have VW stamped on them, No ROH branding anywhere (like Ford & Holden steelies) There is also an Italic T stamped on them - Transproter? Here are a couple of piccys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I thinks thats why my low-light ones were as well (1971 model) but I am now running all 4 6" wide syncro steel standard rims on the lowie and they fit fine. The copy chrome domed hubcaps fit heaps better with them.

I gave my original wheels away. So nothing to photograph.

18. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

My '71 has the star (for want of a better word) shaped centres. But who knows how many wheel sets it has seen!

19. Big Dave 69

Big Dave 69 Member

The genuine wheels available new at the Bus Stop have the star centre bore which appears to be larger than in my photos. http://www.thebusstop.com.au/busstore/products/4/754/genuine_14_inch_wheel_71-79/ Mine are a snug fit on the front hub. Iknow the front disks on the 71 differ to later bays, do later bays have a bigger bearing hub hence the bigger star shaped bore? Maybe those people that have the star shaped centre on thier lowlights have later rims. Just a thought.

20. Micko22

Micko22 Member

i'll check mine tonight