1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start of a journey

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jamo04, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Jamo04

Jamo04 New Member

Hi
    We have recently purchased our dream Kombi
    Johanna. Type 2. 74/7. 1600cc twin port engine

our plan is to restore her to original condition and eventually fit her out as a weekender

over the last month we’ve stripped her down to bare shell. Vacuumed and water blasted all panels
    Certainly has rust but mostly surface. We believe it came from WA and and spent most of its life in central Auss

all electrics work. The engine starts first turn
    It’s not holding 3rd gear and there’s an oil leak from the side of the engine. We think Rocker Cover

next week we take her to a mechanic for a back to front mechanical birthday

after that she’s off for bodywork and repaint inside and out

get her registered and hit the road we hope around next March
    D4A142AE-0E39-4DB7-B8B9-63DF535F1A34.jpeg

1F9CCCB0-4A69-4828-8903-88AC05005453.jpeg

the refit inside can wait
    3F432570-C25E-4F77-AF8F-95699BBFAC35.jpeg

6081BF89-D8E9-42EF-93C1-692778E0E065.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2021
    Elsie 76, BrianT, tintop and 4 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Jamo! :)

Enjoy the ride…….. ;)

Jamo04 likes this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Jamo4 to the KC, Enjoy the journey restoring your bus to her forma glory.

Jamo04 likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G’day and welcome @Jamo04

Nice kombi.
    If it has lived that much in the dry hopefully any rust is superficial.

Does your camper have previous Vic registration?
    If not, don’t assume it will be a walk in the park.
    Campers are “modified vehicles” and you may need (re)engineering
    If it is a Sopru there may be a plate behind the seat back plate.
    You should just check before you start spending big bucks on a spray job

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to KC….
    Looks like a nice bus you’ve picked up, hopefully without too many surprises…..;)
    The engine bay has a few things going on that are not stock.
    Make sure the mech. you go to is experienced with old VW’s otherwise you will be bleeding money.
    I would suggest getting that fuel filter out of the engine bay. They are the cause of many a burnt kombi.
    Jump in to the different Sections here and have a good read…….lots of good info. to be found.
    Ask lots of questions too……every issue you are about to face, has been dealt with by someone here before.
    Enjoy the ride :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Elsie 76, Wiz, Jamo04 and 1 other person like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Jamo04 & welcome to the Kombi Club.
    Cheers

Jamo04 likes this.
  7. Jamo04

Jamo04 New Member

thanks for comments. We are approaching this step by step
    We really don’t know it’s history apart from finding a truck load of fine red dust in every panel and a sticker on the window stating the conversion was done in Perth
    The rust is mostly surface rust with only a few deep rust errors
    Thanks for the tip re the roof. I’m going to speak to the guy doing the body tomorrow and make my own enquirers. I’ll keep you posted if okay

thanks 0179FEB3-5D25-4E1D-964B-4EFD132D0551.jpeg

Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  8. Jamo04

Jamo04 New Member

thanks Mark for feedback

firstly, I’m not mechanical . To own a Kombi has been a dream of mine since i grew up as a boy at Torquay. We surfed, built our boards in dads garage over winter and just loved those times. Morning of the Earth is still my favourite album. In those days RipCurl operated out of a very small shop front in Torquay

so we’ve bought one!!!

the guys getting it to roadworthy are old school tradies who restore various old vehicles. They have done three Kombies in the past

thanks for comment re fuel filter. I’ve already spoken to mechanics about replacing all fuel lines with more modern robust materials

I have a feeling that major work was done on mechanics sometime in the not so distant past

I have a trailer load of spares that have come with the Kombi. Doors. Steering columns fuel tanks. Exhaust systems and much more. My feeling is that these spares have come off the vehicle and replaced

the engine starts first turn of the key

We will see how we go. I’m in no rush but with Covid lockdowns it’s given me a project I’ve wanted to do for a long time

hope I can ask for advise along the way

C18986CA-A28D-435B-8D0E-5097FE647553.jpeg FF1CA30E-48CA-4EE9-85F9-E1B3D2A18DE7.jpeg

David H, oldman and Wayne murray like this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the bus. Get it rolling and enjoy the ride.

Jamo04 likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

You will have some interesting times a head doing your restoration. Ask away with the questions, if you don't ask, you won't get answers. You sticking with the original colour ,have plans on changing from the Flipper blue colour that is all ready on your bus.

Jamo04 likes this.
  11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Had a better look on my computer rather than
    My phone and looks pretty solid.
    Can’t see bubbles in the front.
    I see there is no lining- so you can look from the inside for rust underneath the pop top.

I suggest you read the following link.
    It’s Victorian based - so applicable to your position.
    Some people have some contacts for talking to the right Vass engineers.

Get it registered then do the refurb if you can.

https://forums.kombiclub.com/thread...1984-vw-t3-nightmare-to-register.60197/page-9

12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Cool, you’ll probably recognise this then…..

276A3FC7-FDCC-448C-8C05-60209324F217.jpeg View attachment 61871

My spare wheel cover hand made by Dave Scanlon (Volkstrim)….each colour is a separate piece of vinyl, hand stitched.
    He swore he’d never do another after this !
    I’m also of the MOTE era….my favourite movie and album….still surfing at 63…good times !

Hopefully your mech. will sort out a couple of really important issues in your engine bay……aside from the fuel filter.
    A VW engine is both air and oil cooled. To maximise the cooling efficiency, the tubes that run from the doghouse fan to the heater boxes, that also blow air over the finned heads, should be connected. Yours are missing. Many folks in hot climates replace the heater boxes with J pipes, as Barry mentioned, when the heater boxes wear out. They figure that they won’t need a heater, so why go to the expense of new h boxes…..
    Either way, the doghouse fan is specifically designed to blow cool air over the heads, assisting in the cooling.

The other important, also missing, piece is the tinware seal. It runs all the way around the engine tin and separates the hot engine components from the cool ones. Everything below the tinware gets hot when driving. Everything above the tinware should stay cooler when driving. This is why the tinware seal is so important. The carb. ( filter is also not stock….), coil, alternator and electrics etc. rely on lower temperatures to operate efficiently.

A VW engine is pretty bullet proof if set up properly. Matching parts, as they were designed, set up, tuned properly and regularly serviced will give you many miles of trouble free cruising. Change anything and the whole picture is affected. Lots of folks modify their engines but experience issues if not done completely and properly. Mismatched bits and pieces usually end up with tales of woe……and often why many rubbish kombis.

Good luck with your journey, it looks like you have a good solid base on which to build.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  13. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice project. Also, good to see that red stripe on the floor. I think all Sopru conversions had it for some reason but it remains a mystery to me. ;)
    Good luck and as my friends on KC have said ask questions.
    Cheers
    Craig :)

14. Wayne murray

Hi Elsie 76 Found reference to your mark on the floor, doesn't indicate colour, just about a mark to indicate limit in the cargo area. Under Stowing limit below.

IMG_0256.JPG

oldman and Elsie 76 like this.