1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starter motor

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by darren 01, Oct 3, 2011.

1. darren 01

darren 01 New Member

having trouble with a starter motor,, after having problems not engaging all the time,,,sometimes 1 in 10 it would work i gave up and bought a reco one from justkampers and it also refuses to work ,, it wont even engage or throw out at all
    i took it back out and did a test with jumper leads and it seemed to work but when installed
    it doesnt. i then ran a jumper lead from positive to the battery and still nothing
    im not keen on creating to many sparks around the fuel pump,,also when i put the headlights on and try starting it they go very dim..possibly an earth problem but were do i start looking other than the battery or starter

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Did you change the gearbox bush?

3. darren 01

darren 01 New Member

no and why. am i missing something

4. cwilliams1

cwilliams1 New Member

There is a brass bush that is located inside the gearbox bellhousing. this can be seen when you look through the hole whilst the starter motor is removed. These bushes are often worn away or missing altogether and this can sometimes lead to starter motor failure.

5. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

6. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The starter bush should be changed whenever you replace the starter,

8. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

9. Sam 2 can

Sam 2 can Member

stater motor bush

You would be going to find that bush in an automatic g/box starter set up Trav .

10. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Yeah I realised that when I saw the bush was for a manual.

And don't let me start on you about my starter motor. I've got it pulled out at the moment and have threaded bolts and broken washers. I'll clean it out this weekend and hopefully it should be OK. Good thing we have a spare auto Kombi now!

Trav