1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting my restoration of a 1975 DC - Bowie

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 75DCResto, Oct 21, 2017.

1. 75DCResto

75DCResto New Member

Greetings,

This is my first post on the forum, and this 1975 dual cab is my first ever VW! I have really enjoyed reading about some others restoration efforts (particularly OSF's great thread on his 76 DC restoration) so I thought I would join in.

I am hoping to have it done in the next 18-24 months (will probably end up taking 5 years), and will be outsourcing the body repairs so am prepared for some significant money to be spent. I'll do everything else myself with the assistance of my old man who is a mechanic of the right vintage to be skilled in the ways of kombi vans.

Side note he used to work for the postmaster general in the 1970's and so spent his formative years working on kombi postal vans.

Starting condition: Bowie the Dual Cab 3/1975 - yellow (mellow yellow i think?)

History: Was last registered in the NT in 1997, so hasn't been on the road for a while. Has the remnants of a hand painted mural on the doors for a health food shop in NSW, so it has been around.

Engine: Had an 1800 engine that was out of the vehicle when I purchased it, so I figured something was wrong, when we pulled it apart one of the cylinders had about 2 inches of movement in the big end bearing. My old man is building me a 2.0 ltr to replace the current 1800 that done a big end bearing.

Body: Starting condition is fairly rough, with rust in all the usual places. The tray is cactus, so I have ordered a Klassic Fab replacement floor, the gates are borderline fixable, not sure if I will replace them or repair the existing ones. Sandblasting will likely unearth a fair bit more rust.

I am currently stripping the car down before it gets sent for blasting. I originally wanted to try and keep the patina, but I'm sure there is some more hidden rust I can see and think I should really arrest the rust before it goes on much longer.

If anyone has any good suggestions of places for sandblasting and the rust repairs to the body please pass them on, I am in Melbourne, but happy to transport the ute to whoever that knows what they are doing.

Anyway, here are some photos.

Attached Files:

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club. :)

Start of a great project..... and when complete, one to really enjoy the ride! ;)

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G'day and welcome

Love the workshop

4. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Good Stuff / Welcome
    It's been exactly a year (to the day) since I started my 1976 DC Resto post and I have learn't soooooooo much over this time. It's also actually a bit daunting to think back to where I was a year ago and the path ahead for you. I'm super excited for you though and encourage you to post lots, get involved and ask all the questions you can, as there is an absolute wealth of information held by the great people here.

Hope to be parked up next to you in a line of Bay Window DC's some time.

5. surf bus

surf bus Active Member

sent you a pm

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the party that never ends :D & be sure to continue your resto journey with us ;)

7. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

fantastic project, I thought my bus would take 2 years and it took 4, I don't think they are ever finished!. no matter how pissed off it makes you , its' worth it! :)

David H and StevieVW like this.
  8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome 75DC resto to the KC It looks like you have a bit of fun ahead of you. As you have read there are a few DC getting around in different stages and condition on and off the road. I myself are doing a 72 DC up at the moment and it is always good to see other going though similar process to achieve there decided outcome. Is the car complete with all the tricky bits 'N' pieces . As OSF good to get a DC line up one day. Keep us posted all the best with it.
    regards Wayne

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

A big KC welcome 75DCResto:D.
    Agree with the above comments about support, time, effort, frustration etc but it will be worth it.
    I'd love to see the DC line up also;).
    Oh & we love Bowie;) so why the name?
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

yeah the time is always much greater than anticipated lol.

I always swear its the last time Im ever doing up a vehicle.... I think im working on number 5 at the moment:rolleyes:

StevieVW likes this.
  11. slobus

slobus Member

Another DC being rescued! Good luck with it, heaps of advice on KC.

12. 75DCResto

75DCResto New Member

Apologies for not having updated things in a while,

Progress report:

Yesterday the Kombi ute left on a truck to head to get dipped, it took me over 8 months to find enough time on the weekends to strip the car down to a bare shell. It was a great learning process to see how everything worked not being from a volkswagen background. Lots of strange and interesting ways these cars are put together particularly in the suspension.

Challenges included rounded off CV joint bolts, the Pittman arm and ball joints in the front suspension.

Interesting artefacts found inside include:
    • Heaps of 1 and 2 cent pieces
    • Glass marbles
    • Cigarette papers
    • About 20kg of Pindan dust from the Northern Territory
    • 3 wasp nests

Once the van has been dipped its heading to Geelong to Autoshape restorations in Geelong to get all the rusted out panels replaced. I've bought all the replacement panels through Das Resto, they are the green Klassic Fab panels shown below, still just waiting on the separation panel which is still a month away or so. Still need to buy some other floor replacement panels and potentially a door skin for the drivers door and probably more once we see how bad stuff is after its dipped. Classic_Fab_panels.jpg

While thats going on I am trying to go through my enormous list of parts I have to buy, so many things!

My 1800 is getting rebuilt by VDUBS only in Ocean Grove, it had done a big end bearing on one of the pistons but luckily didn't let go and go through the engine block.

My transmission is in an unknown state so I'm getting it taken apart and getting a freeway flyer 4th gear installed.

Anyway here he goes off to his acid bath, hopefully something comes back out!

20180703_151437.jpg IMG_0091.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Good to see that your are making progress @75DCResto .You mention waiting for the separation panel, there is one in the photo. Or the correct style one? Acid dipping you will get your car back as the photos don't show to much rust but the dipping process will sorely fined it for you. Hope it all goes well.
    P.s what parts you looking for,anything in particle, as there are a few DC owners getting around might be able to help point you in the right direction or give a lead to where to get it.

14. 75DCResto

75DCResto New Member

Hi Wayne,

Thanks, yeah the image if just an example of what I'm getting. Thats the separation panel I'm getting, it isn't the correct one I know but it was the best I could find other than waiting for the guy in Columbia to start making the correct ones which has been 6 months away for about the last 3 years according to most.

I am still hunting for the glass for the rear side door which was perspex when I bought the car so, and I'm also hunting another twin front seat as I think the one that came with it is from an earlier bus.

I'd love to know if anyone has written a step by step document on how to restore a dual cab 1975 kombi :)

15. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

I’ve got the twin front seat in Great condition.

Rear pedestal seat base.

Send me your mobile and I can send you pictures.

Where are you in Melbourne?

16. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Looking good. I think we are watching the start of another quality resto in the making.

I had to use the same separation panel. I was considering modifying it back to original, but it was just going to be too costly and take up too much time, so I used it as is and just marked if off as one of those things about my resto that I wasn't 100% happy with at the time, but isn't really that significant in the big scheme of things. A few guys here are the only ones who would pick the difference.

P.S. I was just about to say I think Poptop had a spare 2/3 front seat, but he obviously types faster.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Poptop and David H like this.
  17. 75DCResto

75DCResto New Member

Hi Poptop,

If I read your profile correctly I think we are both in Clifton Hill, you don't live on Ramsden street do you? there is a guy with a bunch of Kombi vans I always walk past.

18. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

That’s me!

19. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I was just reading the list of pannels you have to put in and then thinking about the buss getting dipped - you could just take the compliance plate and all the parts you took off and just attach all your new panels together with the compliance plate and just skip the expense of dissolving the rest of the DC :p

It doesn’t sound like your expecting much to be left after the dip :D

Wayne murray likes this.
  20. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

75DCResto
    Ok my Kombi senses activated after coffee, I’ve got you located by the images- John St!