Starting my restoration of a 1975 DC - Bowie

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 75DCResto, Oct 21, 2017.

1. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

I'd love to know if anyone has written a step by step document on how to restore a dual cab 1975 kombi :)[/QUOTE]

Not a dual cab, but a Kombi at least, it is a good read anyway. Has provided inspiration for me, my kombi is no where near as bad as the one restored in the book. Have to look for the silver lining sometimes. good luck with the resto!!

[​IMG]

2. 75DCResto

75DCResto New Member

Yeah planning for the worst! The backs of the dual cabs are generally pretty swiss cheese with rust unless it has had a very kind life out of the rain. The tray bed and rear floor are full of holes, gates are cactus as well, the rear wheel arches look okay but I am assured by the guy who is doing the body work they are always rusted inside the panel where the seam is in the wheel arch. Anyway we will see, I have seen some examples of some early splitties being rebuilt from about 80-90% replacement panels!

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Considerable bank balance of green panels on the floor. :D

Interested in details of dipping process.
    Assume stripper then acid.
    HCl is aggressive so a mix of phosphoric?
    Any temporary coating to hold the surface while work proceeds ?

Like your approach. Should turn out a long lasting resto.

4. 75DCResto

75DCResto New Member

Yes those green panels don't come cheap! SurfBus would be the one to talk to about this particular dipping process in terms of the chemicals used. I know its a two stage process with the second stage being some sort of phosphate based coating that prevents oxidation of the bare metal. Cost wise its probably 20-30%% more than sandblasting based on the quotes I got.

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Do check your seat to the car as there is two types of fixings of the 2/3 seat at the back. My 76 SC Ute has one style and my 72 DC Ute has the other style. I also have two 2/3 front seats with headrests and its the earlier style .Take photos to show what style you have.
    Your rear door should have rear 1/4 windows the same as the drivers rear side. The best option if you want one piece for the door is to get some glass company to make the glass and toughen the glass. You could use the perspex as a template.
    Or you need to get a 1/4 window and the other fixed half glass for the door.
    Regards Wayne

David H likes this.
  6. shaven

shaven Active Member

Build the internals with checker-plate.

7. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member