1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting my restoration of a 1975 DC - Bowie

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 75DCResto, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

A lot of work gone in, Keep a thought of the brackets for the fuel tank sits on. Like the work keep the progress coming.

David H likes this.
  2. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

Hi Wayne,

Yeah it's been a lot of work to get it to the point where it doesn't look like much haha. I actually just took the tank back to him on the weekend and he is busily trying to refit the fuel tank bracket at the moment.

3. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

Yeah we hare having to re fabricate all the brackets for the bottom of the seat pedestal they were in really bad shape including parts of the pedestal itself, the wingnuts were completely rusted onto the brackets and they just fell apart when I tried to remove them. Paul was telling me that because its a bus floor they need to make a few modification so maybe that is one of them.

4. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

Yeah its a bit scary at the moment as you have spent a fair bit of time and effort getting to the point where the car doesn't look like much, but once you get to the external panels that's when you make more progress more quickly. But I must say it is very enjoyable watching it all come together. I'm trying to avoid the urge to go out and buy every single part I need rather than waiting till its required. I also nearly bought a a T3 synchro camper but luckily was talked out of it, that would have really stretched the bank account :)

5. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

I was wondering if you guys had some opinions on where to source a replacement loom, it seems a little bit tricky for the later bays, The loom that came out of it is just so degraded especially the insulation around the wires which just seems to crumble in your hand, It has also been fairly massacred in and around the dash where countless accessories had been added and deleted over the years. I have found a few places overseas that can reproduce them, but I was hoping to find someone here in Aus. Any thoughts?

6. Wayne murray

www.vinwire.com.au Have a look at there website and may be give them a ring,down your way. If you have your old harness pulled out they might be able to rebuild you a new one from the old.

David H likes this.
  7. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

Thanks Wayne, I will check them out!

8. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

Hi guys,

Its been a while again progress is slow in these things, can't rush when you are trying to do it right.

The ute had to be re dipped which put us back a bit, there was a lot of very rusty panels and I think that made it difficult for the acid to infiltrate everywhere it needed to go. It has been re dipped and now looks fantastic. Paul from Autoshape also cut some small holes to allow the solution to properly infiltrate into some of the tubed panels which has really helped.

Anyway they are back into it now, some photos on the latest bodywork. They are focusing on the back end at the moment as I have all the required panels. Central floor is complete, front end will be done last.

Enjoy

IMG_0278.jpg IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0280.jpg IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0292.jpg IMG_0269.jpg

Wayne murray likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Looking good ,alot of work does go into these as you said to get them right. Good to see these photos as alot of my rust body work was already done before I brought it.

10. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

First of the Classic Fab rear quarter panels going on. Feels like actual progress when the outer skin starts appearing. FB_IMG_1545131841971.jpg

11. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

It's happening. Looking good.

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Milestone day!

13. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

It's so good when you see those green panels going back on.

14. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

First lot of paint going on in the hard to reach places. Went with Marino Yellow in the end. Rear quarters, load bed and modified seperation panels are now ready to go on. Then the rear third is complete. IMG_0594.jpg IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0582.png IMG_0580.png IMG_0584.jpg

Grantus, OSF, David H and 3 others like this.
  15. Wayne murray

Very nice.
    Question are you leaving the holes in the tray floor,as for the holes in the chassis area to match?

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Whoa ........ LOVE the colour!

75DCResto likes this.
  17. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I agree. It's going to look good on the DC. Popping, but still kinda commercial.

75DCResto likes this.
  18. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

More progress. Rear quarters, load bed and seperation panel going on. Back of the car is now finished. Now onto the front. FB_IMG_1548861912960.jpg FB_IMG_1548861920475.jpg FB_IMG_1548861943930.jpg FB_IMG_1548861968670.jpg FB_IMG_1548862006067.jpg

slobus, tintop, David H and 3 others like this.
  19. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Bewdiful:):D. Nice fitment. Gaps look too good;) for a VW.
    Cheers

20. 75DCResto

75DCResto Active Member

Yeah the more you see underneath the kombi the more you realise how quick and cheap they must have been to churn out, dodgy looking welds and wobbly panels all over the place!