1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting my restoration of a 1975 DC - Bowie

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 75DCResto, Oct 21, 2017.

1. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

Good question, I believe the holes were meant to line up with where the previous holes were but probably not perfectly.

2. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

I thought i would mention a few of the findings we have had along the way, and I certain this isn't news to most who have used them (certainly not OSF), but the quality of the Klassic Fab panels is pretty poor in terms of fitment, consistency also the general quality of the pressings.

I know there isn't anyone else who makes the gates and load bed and separation panel so you don't really have a choice. From my experience going through this process the load bed was pretty good but basically every other panel needed serious work to make them fit and look straight, we had to send the first separation panel back because it just wasn't up to scratch with wobbly lines etc. They are definately not cheap either compared to the panels that you have a few choices with like floor sections etc.

So yeah overall I wasn't super impressed with them, I think until they have some competitors they don't really need to lower their price or improve the quality. Thought it was worth a share.

Cheers

Wayne murray, OSF and David H like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

& thanks for sharing. That's how we learn & demand moves to other places so other manufacturers may consider being able to do it better;) & provide.
    Cheers

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

As the holes are for bolting the canopy frame to the chassis under the floor if you had ever intended to put one on.

5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Good pick up Wayne. The holes have a captive nut under them and will be needed if you ever want to bolt a canopy on (as Wayne indicates).

Not meaning to stress you out, but now is the time to get these sorted if you think you might want a canopy down the track. There are two on each side at the back, one each side on the front and one each side on the separation panel (which are there in your pic).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  6. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

Ah yes I am with you, I thought you were talking about the drill holes for welding on the load bed. Good question, I personally wont be putting on a canopy but I might raise it just to see what the options are. Cheers for the advice.

7. 75DCResto

75DCResto Member

After much wrestling the gates are fitted and gaps are pretty good.

Attached Files:

chuck85 and Barry like this.
  8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Looking good. Knowing how bad they can be and how hard it is to get them right, it's good to see your Panel Beater has done a good job and got them on well. Good stuff!

75DCResto likes this.
  9. Grant 74 DC

Grant 74 DC New Member

Loved looking thru all the posts on this thread, awesome colour. I am absolutely jealous that you have the time to do this. I myself would love to do this to my 74 DC but as I have just recently bought it with a reasonably good resto job on it. I don't think the holder of the purse strings would embrace such an adventure. So, for now, it is live vicariously thru all you courageous restorers.

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

This is why you need a 2nd Kombi!

OSF likes this.
  11. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

you wouldn't be on your own --- there wouldn't be many partners who know what's been spent :D:eek:

OSF and Wayne murray like this.
  12. Wayne murray

Or they do and say nothing;) turn a blind eye:D

OSF likes this.
  13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

ah, the one's who endlessly come home with new shoes knowing you wouldn't dare bring up $ :)

OSF likes this.
  14. Grant 74 DC

Grant 74 DC New Member

I have my first car a 66 Beetle waiting in the wings for aa full rest. 1 day fingers crossed

15. Grant 74 DC

Grant 74 DC New Member

I don't think there are any blind eyes, they are always watching even when they are not. I do comment each time I see some nice shiny thing the budget on the beetle just went up :)

16. Wayne murray

That's what the term means "turn a blind eye" pretend not to notice.